Backpacking Handgun holsters??

I typically carry a .44 S&W Mt Gun in this: Alaska Sportsman Holsters

Always wanted a thigh rig for the M&P as it fun to shoot at targets of opportunity (game birds / bunnies, etc.) and easily accessible there...

You guys mind posting pics of how you set it all up with your pack? Chiefly interested in how the waist belt of the pack worked with the Serpa. My main concern in looking at (via the web) is the double connection to your belt. Seems like it would get in the way with your pack. ???

Thanks!

I run the chest buckle strap through the holster and the gun is reachable with both hands, expecially if I was face down with my hands over the back of my neck like in a mountain lion/bear attack situation.

Attachments

• Rochelles D6 2011 pics 034.jpg
    Rochelles D6 2011 pics 034.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 117
I typically carry a .44 S&W Mt Gun in this: Alaska Sportsman Holsters

Always wanted a thigh rig for the M&P as it fun to shoot at targets of opportunity (game birds / bunnies, etc.) and easily accessible there...

You guys mind posting pics of how you set it all up with your pack? Chiefly interested in how the waist belt of the pack worked with the Serpa. My main concern in looking at (via the web) is the double connection to your belt. Seems like it would get in the way with your pack. ???

Thanks!

I attach mine to my waist belt, not the pack. When I tried to attach it to my pack's belt, the pack pulled at the holster with each step.

When I am not wearing a belt with my pants, I use a Bianchi tactical belt. It slides under the waist belt of my pack comfortable and keeps the thigh holster from moving with the pack.

I'll try to find some pictures to show you the set-up.

Ipack my 44 mag in a holster that is attached to a 2'' brass ring that is inleather to the belt.This allows pistol to ride lower and swivel with leg movement, and rides lower so my hip pack belt is on upper part

Attachments

• hunt 08, shop 001.jpg
    hunt 08, shop 001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 121
If you have a Eberlestock or similar with MOLLE web on the waist belt part of the pack, you could attach a Serpa to the MOLLE with a Serpa MOLLE attachment accessory. I've been using a Turtle Tracks chest holster for a while. Wears like a mini pack on your chest with straps that go around your back; has a one handed rip cord to pull the zippers open and access your handgun and a velcro/moveable holster inside to accomodate several sizes of handguns and different cants on the draw, is right/left handed as well. Turtle Tracks just moved from Anchorage AK to Grand Junction Colorado and may not be up and running in full swing yet down there. They are also the same people who make the outer vests for the Alaska State Troopers those of you who might have seen them on the trooper show on tv. They made the outer vest I'm currently wearing as well and they turn out good quality nylon gear.

Their links are fouled up on their site and show a different product when you lick on the photo for the chest pack, but you can still see it.
Catalog7

I personally prefer a shoulder holster as I feel its what gives me the most support and also puts the pistol opposite my rifle. I carry a super black hawk in .454 and just don't care to have it hanging from the belt. When I have everything adjusted the pistol rides nicely where I can access it easily and don't find it tanglesom ( if that's even a word) in the least. I use a regular strap for my binos and use the upper cheat strap on my pack to secure them while hiking. I use a small day pack with all my essentials and depending on the hunt I may put that pack on my pack frame and secure my rifle to that as well and use the pistol as my primary. This is just what I have found to work and I think part of that is because of my 6'2" height.

I use a product from Dana Designs (now Marmot). They were an outdoor equipment maker specializing is backpacks and tents. They had a product called the Wet Rib, though since being bought out by Marmot, I'm not sure where you can find it. It attaches to the lower strap of the shoulder straps of the backpack, and runs across your abdomen. It's easy to remove and put on all my packs. I like it because it's something I use during general backpacking, as well as hunting trips. It conceals my gun, yet it's easily accessible. Perfect for high traffic hiking trails.

dd4080_med.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.