Sidearm/holsters

Win.308Stealth

A few years back did a caribou hunt in Alaska and carried my brothers Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 in a nylon holster at the hip. Was not bad to carry all day long, kind of gave you peace of mind.
Now I bought a Glock G40 10mm, and this will be my primary sidaerm on my hunting, fishing, and trips to the woods. Just wondering what kind of holsters you are using? I have carried a 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster and kind of like that one. But just trying to see what everyone else's experiences are. Always open to peoples thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance.

I carry a Glock 22, 23 or 27. Probably not the kind of idea you are looking for and maybe it's just plain stupid, but it works for me. I have a back brace. It hooks together in front with velcro. And on each side you can adjust the tightness again velcro is how you adjust it. My daughter sewed a place to put the pistol on the left side and used a strap over the top to ensure that it can't fall out again velcro was used. To me it's comfortable, always with me, even works well carrying my backpack and in bad weather it's protected. They make items like this contraption, I have a couple of them also and they work well. Good luck

I carry a Glock 22, 23 or 27. Probably not the kind of idea you are looking for and maybe it's just plain stupid, but it works for me. I have a back brace. It hooks together in front with velcro. And on each side you can adjust the tightness again velcro is how you adjust it. My daughter sewed a place to put the pistol on the left side and used a strap over the top to ensure that it can't fall out again velcro was used. To me it's comfortable, always with me, even works well carrying my backpack and in bad weather it's protected. They make items like this contraption, I have a couple of them also and they work well. Good luck
You don't have a pic by chance, do ya? Having a hard time visualizing?

When I'm hunting I don't want a sidearm tied to my waste. I don't know who makes one for the Glock G40 but I prefer a tactical holster (thigh holster) that doesn't interfere with my options to select the full range of shooting positions. Whether it's Safariland, Blackhawk, or whatever you can find I'd recommend you give some thought to how useful it is and how securely it maintains control of your sidearm.

I don't have a picture handy will try and get one. I got the idea from a couple of others I have. One is made by pro active and the other by galaco. Believe they refer to them as a belly band holster. They work fair, but at least for me the back brace is more comfortable. I'm right handed and position the pistol on my left side and for me it's out of the way. If you really want a picture PM me your phone number and I can Tex you one. Not sure I'm savy enough to post a picture

I use a bandelero type holster. I seldom carry a pistol except when packing out meat and that style keeps everything out of the way of the backpack and the pistol is still available.

For the Glock 20's etc. check out the Man Gear Alaska Chest Holsters... Excellent holster, designed to be worn over rain gear or clothing, HANDY

I'm a believer in light backups when backpack hunting. I have a Taurus Titanium 41Mag and a SW 329PD (44). I have BladeTech paddle holsters for both. Due to the big cylinders I find the maximum retention inadequate, so I use a couple layers from a gallon milk jug plastic to increase the "squeeze" to hold the pistol. You can shake the holster upside down and the gun is retained, but it can be pulled without an issue.

When backpacking I can snap the paddle holster over the waist band of the pack. If I drop the pack, the holster is easily transferred onto my waist.

I have no use for heavier guns requiring shoulder rigs, and find shoulder rigs to often interfere with packs. Hunting partners using both heavier steel guns and shoulder rigs have routinely left the backup gun in the truck the first time we go back to it.

There are so many options. I have carried my 1911 in a Black hawk Serpa holster and it seemed to work, even with my pack on. I might even go with that for an upcoming fishing trip to Alaska in a couple weeks. Plus, I can pick the Serpa up at Cabelas. But, after the trip I think I might order a chest rig of some sort.

I carry a ruger super redhawk toklat 454 in the diamond d chest holster. keeps the gun handy for when you need it. easy and comfortable and ok for use with a backpack. they make it for lots of models, I'm sure they have one for the glock 20

I bought a serpa holster, and am going to try it this year. But next year I will be getting a chest rig (diamond d or the Alaskan man gear, both similar) and check that one out. Kind of spendy doing it that way, but so is my life and/or well being.

A few years back did a caribou hunt in Alaska and carried my brothers Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 in a nylon holster at the hip. Was not bad to carry all day long, kind of gave you peace of mind.
Now I bought a Glock G40 10mm, and this will be my primary sidaerm on my hunting, fishing, and trips to the woods. Just wondering what kind of holsters you are using? I have carried a 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster and kind of like that one. But just trying to see what everyone else's experiences are. Always open to peoples thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance.
My first choice for the use you stated ,Blackhawk Serpa 2nd Safariland ! Houge makes some wicked fast draw holsters, but not for your use. and for ultimate comfort and securement its hard to beat a good chest rig.

I started really liking chest holsters after a customer asked me to build one for his S&W629 .44 mag. His buddy tried it on and ordered one also, seems anyone who sees and tries it on really likes how it is always at the ready( when you don't need to conceal), draws quickly and allows freedom in your arms etc... doesn't get in the way of a backpack or even fishing waders should the need arise.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.