Are you a SFP or FFP shooter?

• SFP

Votes: 89 58.6%
  • FFP

Votes: 63 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nksmfamjp

I was listening to a Vortex podcast and realize that I and I suspect many of my fellow hunters need to define how we want our optic to perform before spending money on an optic.

Characteristics.....not absolutes:

FFP
Use the scale marks in the reticle for ranging or shooting
Trust what you see vs mechanics of optic
Concerned about shoot fast or without complications of turret turn
Can find aim point quick on XY grid
OK with less usable reticle at low power
Use a wider magnification range while shooting due to conditions or preference....usually combined with reticle usage

SFP
Tend to not use reticle except as single aim point
Willing to turn turrets or holdover on long shots
Shots are generally made as point and shoot or methodical turret turning after wind and range confirmed
Generally prefer clean reticle with single aim point or bdc usage at a single magnification....often 8-14x
Due to lower max power, relative to conditions, reticle scale is usable....or no reticle scale usage

Since this is the Long Range Forum, I will focus on my long range stuff. With long range, there is wind and drop....I find myself as an FFP reticle only shooter, unless I'm stuck with SFP due to budget when I bought the optic.

I have used second focal plane most of my life. But as I grow in this sport, I find I like the simplicity of the FFP reticles. I like a simple reticle with both vertical hash marks rather than something similar to the Horus Christmas tree type. I just like the fact that it is the same value throughout the magnification range. I still dial, but it makes impact adjustments easier to make for me. If I were only target shooting, I may prefer the SFP as the reticle is typically finer. This all has to do with speed and consistency. Custom turrets fall into a similar category for me; If I live and practice at sea level and hunt at several thousand feet, I need different turrets. FFP allows me to use the same programs/apps across all of my rifles and shooting disciplines. If you have time to do all the calculations in setting up a shot, either works fine. As I said, this is what works for me and is my preference.

I have both - I keep trying to like FFP scopes, so I buy them, use them, hate them, sell them...its a vicious cycle. Nobody needs a reticle to range anymore - that is obsolete. The reticles are so fine and small at low power they are useless in low light or against a dark background - illumination mitigates this somewhat, but still an extra step in the process to turn it on. Wind holdovers - I use inches instead of MOA and on game that get me out to 1200 yards easy. There is no reason to hold over on a shot that is outside MPBR - always have time to dial.

I think they make sense for PRS, but but they suck on a hunting rifle. Just my opinion.

I keep trying to like FFP scopes, so I buy them, use them, hate them, sell them...its a vicious cycle.

The reticles are so fine and small at low power they are useless in low light or against a dark background - illumination mitigates this somewhat, but still an extra step in the process to turn it on.

The illuminated reticles in FFP are sweet. Sometimes it also depends on the reticle. This is my SWFA 5-20 FFP HD at 5X taken at my dining table with the light out. Not the greatest picture but ...
SWFA 5-20 5X 1 of 3.jpg

SWFA 5-20 5X 2 of 3.jpg

Across the street from my house ~50 yards.

SWFA 5-20 5X 3 of 3.jpg

~600 yards

Both here. Sfp illuminated dot for hunting. Ffp target. Also switching to non-illuminated FFP since I've never needed the feature. In SC we tend to shot in low light more often than not, so the illuminated center helps a bit.

Although not as advanced as many on this site I prefer the 2nd focal plane scopes. I have looked through the 1st focal plane scopes and although the idea that the holdover reticle that is consistent through the power range is appealing to me the disappearing reticle drives me nuts. I still use the reticle on my SFP scopes. For most of my shooting I use the maximum power setting anyway. I also find the halfway point and mark it so if I do need to decrease power I just double the value of the reticle marks. I have found I am a very visually oriented person. the shrinking reticle on FFP scopes as power is decreased gets harder and harder to see and really bothers me. I also feel why have a variable scope if 1/3 of the bottom end is useless. The fact I am no longer 20 years old (as everyone keeps reminding me) is also a factor as I like more magnification. Plus I can always dial if I have the time.

Last edited:
I normally throw it up against the "actual" game I am hunting, not against the pines. 😇
Haha - ya...but put that game against some dark pines in low light. My first FFP scope did not have illumination. Made it really tough at low light. I shot a buck in that same scenario at 200 yards after sunset. Had to zoom out to 6x to get enough light...had a really really tough time seeing the crosshairs.

Any of you guys who can't comprehend the situation have never hunted the steep canyons in Idaho and Montana. Even when the sun is out it can still be low light if you or the animal are buried down in some steep canyon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.