Are three shot groups valuable?

Haven't used 3 shots on an animal at range in over a decade, and that was a small pack of young naive yotes. How my hunting rifle does cold and for follow ups is about all that matters for me. Whole different ball of wax when talking varmint rifles or prs.

I believe 3 shots is good for testing.
And when accuracy testing (cold bore) 1 shot at a time is exactly what I need.

I did the same thing, still do.

When we harvested deer down the long Senderos, before the season I went out at our club short range, 200 yards that is, about 10 different outings. I will put up a 3/4 inch paster and fire just one round on each outing. As long as I hit the paster holding off for wind and mirage I did not touch the scope setting. I had really stable rifles then, a 7RM and a AI AWM in 300WM.

First day on the ranch I usually set up on the 600 yard bench across from the ranch house and send a round to the 1 MOA AR 500 plate that is a permanent fixture on the target frame just confirm dope.

Works for me, YMMV.

If you want to test the firearm accuracy/repeatability you will need an action vice to reduce as many variables as possible-- you are testing your repeatability more than the firearms.

Do what works for you....I look for repeatability of shot placement, you do you.

Just remember- perfect practice makes perfect. We as humans are far less repeatable than the machine is.

There is nothing wrong with three shot groups as long as they are repeatable.If you are shooting a cartridge with a big case it's going to start to really get hot after three shots,especially if the weather is warm.A hot barrel not only can cause groups to open up,it can also aid in barrel erosion.What is important to me is my groups are repeatable and my first cold bore shot from my rifle is in the group.

I prefer 3 shot groups for hunting rifles. I try to imagine a situation when a fast second follow up shot might be needed. Although Iam really just a whitetail deer hunter, and they all fall down when hit with the 270 Win, I still quickly rechamber the second round, and hold tight on the target for at least two Minutes. Then I relax, the thin barrel has cooled, and if needed the second shot can be placed with relaxed confidence. This 11 point Buck went straight down, shot from an elevated blind at 50/60 yards , with my .270 Win. Did not move for nearly 9 minutes, then started to kick his front leg. I had to put a second round into him. Your Three shot group is really excellent, the rifle likes that load, and works well for you. I say it's more than ready to hunt elk or moose or sheep very far away . Keep shooting, and shooting, and when you have some free time go shooting some more.

Attachments

• IMG_4728 (1) Thornbury NC  1st Morning.  11 Point Buck.jpg
    IMG_4728 (1) Thornbury NC 1st Morning. 11 Point Buck.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4740 Thornbury Day One, 11 Point  Weatherby Ultralight  270 Win.jpg
    IMG_4740 Thornbury Day One, 11 Point Weatherby Ultralight 270 Win.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 89
"Cold bore" and "clean bore" are two different things. After my rifle bore is cleaned and a thin film of bore protectant left in it, it will rarely shoot the first (or even the first few) round(s) into the group that subsequent rounds will create.

Sometimes I wonder what posters mean when that say "cold bore" shot.
You are right, when I clean the rifle, I fire 2 rounds to foul the bore. I'm lucky that I can step out the back door and shoot the two rounds, the go to the range 10 miles away. Then I do cold bore test for hunting rifles. That has worked for me for 50+ years.

Three questions.
1) how many shots through the new Brux barrel.
2) how much time between shots in your grouping test.
3) were the ABs just ABs or were they ABLRs. I found them to perform differently.

The light barrel will heat up quickly in 300 RUM and will walk accordingly.

I always foul a clean bore with two shots then proceed to test. One shot then another, if obviously far apart then I stop, if not but are close to what I'm looking for then a third shot otherwise it's just a waste of ammo, bore, etc. Of course, the ammo needs to be perfect too.

So the next day I fired two more and got the group below. For the next week I banged steel with it at my CO place. But as I was doing so, I noticed my velocities were going up (bbl had less than 30 shots when I fired the group below). So this morning I took the same target to my 100 yard range, and fired two more. Seven shots in .483".

I do get a laugh when guys say "I never shoot 3 times at an animal, so why test loads using 5 shot groups?" Well, as you can see, while my seven shot group is great, it got bigger the more shots I fired.
That load will probably continue to speed up. Until you get around 200 rounds down the tube. Should level out then.

Recent Posts