Shot groupings

Very good reviews. Spectacular really. THANKS

Oh - to go back 60 years to have a 15 year young eyed lad's 20-15 vision - who with iron sights - could do what was needed in timber. Further out - if needed - could use a side mounted 4x fixed Weaver - but usually - we just tried to creep closer

And be able to use today's equipment. Suffering Succotash - as Snuffy Smith used to say. :) (For ye old timers)

Rather than using 22's up on Hogsback mountain - to nail gophers at 50-100 yards - with today's gear -dang - we might try picking them off at say 1,000 yards ? Well - with not too much wind. :)

A bir more - including Hootin' Holler. It really was funny.

Snuffy Smith and the townsfolk of Hootin' Holler[edit]

Snuffy Smith (whose last name is pronounced "Smif" by virtually all the characters in Hootin' Holler) is an ornery little cuss, sawed-off and shiftless. He lives in a shack, mangles the English language, and has a propensity to shoot at those who displease him. He makes "corn-likker" moonshine in a homemade still and is in constant trouble with the sheriff. He wears a broad-brimmed felt hat almost as tall as he is, has a scraggly mustache and a pair of tattered, poorly patched overalls. He constantly cheats at poker and checkers. He also has some proclivity toward stealing chickens, which led to a brief but effective use of his character in a marketing campaign by the Tyson Foods corporation in the early 1980s. In 1937, he held the post of "Royal Doodle Bug" in the "Varmints" lodge; during this period, the strip heavily employed the catchphrase, "What did the Doodle-Bug say?", an apparent homage to "What did the Woggle-Bug say?" in L. Frank Baum and Walt McDougall's Queer Visitors from the Marvelous Land of Oz strip of 1904–1905.

Almost all of the characters in the strip (except the infrequently seen Barney Google and the occasional visiting "flatlander") are exaggerated hillbillies in the classic burlesque tradition:[9] sharp-tongued gossipy women such as Snuffy's wife Loweezy; his baby Tater; his nephew Jughaid; his neighbors Elviney and Lukey[10] (Lucas Ebenezer Hinks);[11][12] the sanctimonious (but nonetheless ungrammatical) Parson; Silas, the owner of the General Store; the ostentatiously-badged Sheriff Tait, and others.[10] Vehicles are rundown jalopies of a seeming 1920s vintage, even in the 1970s and beyond. The characters are drawn so that they appear to be talking out of the sides of their mouths.

Now I know why I can't locate one. 😩
Scheels was gonna discontinue the 280 AI so they knocked off $300 for the last one they had in stock. Sportsmans whse in Utah had the speed and hunter models so I had them ship one of each to Reno. The Hunter model has a 26" barrel and I was gonna knock off 2", but the first three groups were 3/4" 1/2" and 1/2" so I think I'll leave it alone. The other two speed versions print 3/4 to 7/8" groups with hunting bullets. Try Utah Sportsmans as they had a few in stock. I also spoke to the Browning rep at the Sheep show and he mentioned they are having a patent issue with the Ceracote so they are changing suppliers. New shipments of all Browning with this coating may be delayed until May or June.

Same bullet, 3 different loads. Two have the same powder charge but different primer. Does this ever frustrate any of you? Is this a glitch in my reloading process?

First two shots touch then….all shot on same day. Cool barrel. And they are all about 1"

I did not rotate the picture it's three different targets.
I have a Ruger M77MKII that does that. It will keep all 5 shots inside an inch but will put two in the same hole or close, one about 0.6" right, the 4th in the first two and the 5th cutting the 3rd, with about a 0.7 center to center total group. Since its a light, thin barrelled rifle, I don't worry much about the gap, just the over all group. I can hit a 12" steel plate with it at 600 yards and have a 5 shot group less than 6" at that distance on a still day, so that's good enough.

I think that is sound advice! but I will push back on the 100 yard grouping versus 200-300 plus yard groupings. This has been tested extensively and has not been validated. If the gun groups well at 200 or 300 yards it will group well at 100 yards. No bullets don't stabilize and shrink groups the farther they fly. Garbage in, Garbage out...

Now, if anyone, not calling you out, wants to disprove this? Please invite me to witness, Applied Ballistics will pay for you to discredit these claims. Free ammo, free trip etc... It has yet to be validated that groups group better at 200 yards plus. I learned this the hard way! Got my butt handed to me by Brian Litz. I met him at Berger one day when he was visiting.

What you guys will see with groups shrinking at distance is an issue of too much power on your optics, parallax, etc. At distance you are more focused on a finner (smaller) point of Aim, so you think your groups are shrinking, in reality you shot better. Power down your scopes or use a smaller target for your POA, like the triangle of a target, see picture below. My POA was the far orange triangle . Yes I got excited and pulled my 5th shot on my new 300 Norma barrel, yes it had zero break in done.... which goes to show is barrel break in really View attachment 356167 necessary... depends on your barrel, I haven't to do it, but that's another thread :) yes the POI is not my POA, if you shoot out your POA what are you aiming at?... just a friendly tip
My experience says you are spot on with your statements. If you and the rifle are not grouping well at 100 yds, don't expect a transformation the further out you go.

My experience says you are spot on with your statements. If you and the rifle are not grouping well at 100 yds, don't expect a transformation the further out you go.
But it's magic! never seen one that gets better at longer distances. You might better at old age. I don't think that's true either.

Scheels was gonna discontinue the 280 AI so they knocked off $300 for the last one they had in stock. Sportsmans whse in Utah had the speed and hunter models so I had them ship one of each to Reno. The Hunter model has a 26" barrel and I was gonna knock off 2", but the first three groups were 3/4" 1/2" and 1/2" so I think I'll leave it alone. The other two speed versions print 3/4 to 7/8" groups with hunting bullets. Try Utah Sportsmans as they had a few in stock. I also spoke to the Browning rep at the Sheep show and he mentioned they are having a patent issue with the Ceracote so they are changing suppliers. New shipments of all Browning with this coating may be delayed until May or June.
Thanks. I hope they are not discontinuing the .280AI. I did order a MK V Hunter in .280AI after not being able to locate Browning. I will check Utah Sportsmans out. Thanks again!

Recent Posts