Archery vs Rifle hunting

Too me traditional Bowhunting was a lifestyle. 1 started it off when I went to Clemson. I had been shooting compounds for about 7 years then. We had a nice bow club and course not far from Clemson. My roommate and I drove to Jeffries Archery to meet Tom and Owen Jeffrey and left with three recurves. Then a trip to Dan Quillians shop in Athens Georgia netted me one of Dan's. Longbows. We met people through the club and if we weren't hunting on the weekend we were at a traditional shoot somewhere meeting some more interesting people. Man we had a good time with all of that stuff and met some really interesting people. If you were carrying a recurve or longbow and spotted another group doing the same. You knew you had some brothers there and some common ground to get you started.
Exactly. Same here.

I've hunted with both bow and rifle nearly everywhere you can hunt for the better part of 26 years, and hands down it's a draw for me.

I prefer to archery hunt when it's permissible, but would never turn down an opportunity for another adventure just because of a weapon restriction. I had a blast hunting in Russia years ago, and given the terrain and species could have easily done an archery hunt - but alas, it was not permitted at that time. Did it stop me from travelling and taking some remarkable critters - nope. I had just as much fun. Its important to pass along the passion to our kids that no matter what your choice of weapon, it's about the experience and ability to encourage conservation regardless of our preference in tools.

Most of my family's off-season is spent practicing for both...you never know when the opportunity to take a new adventure will arise.

I am a both/and guy. I just like to hunt. So I will take what I can get. It is the thrill of the hunt. As a former archery pro staffer you would think I prefer it but it depends on the circumstances. I get just as big a thrill rifle hunting as I do bow hunting. With a bow I like to get so close you can count the hairs on his back. Nothing like having a deer or turkey so close you could gut him with a knife and him never know you were there. That is hunting at its best. Sitting against a tree in the hill country bugling for elk and a big cow steps across your legs.😁 That said there is a lot to be said about hunting the open plains or tundra in Africa or Alaska. There I prefer a rifle. The shots come fast and at times with some distance all while some toothy critters with a whole lot of malice and a bad attitude may be hunting you. Again it is the thrill of the hunt.

If I am paying a premium to hunt Africa or Alaska or somewhere else in the world outside the US I am most likely gun hunting. Not wasting my time bow hunting unless we have already killed what we came for. If I am at home in my back yard where I have time to scout and know where the animals are and can get in his living room probably hunting with a bow 10 times out of ten. I prefer the bow but not when I am traveling to new locations or in unfamiliar territory. The gun is just more practical and efficient for a 3-10 day hunt out of town.

Got to tag along on a goat hunt (Roe Buck) in Norway about 20 years ago. It was a great experience. We hunted two days. Glassed and moved all day both days. The weather was perfect. We saw several bucks but never got within sixty yards of them. I have a great Polaroid of one on the side of a cliff at about sixty yards. It is a beautiful pic. We cut him off and got into position but he chose to go down the other side. We came home with a great story and memories but we had to settle for our tator and salad instead of fresh venison. The wind was a huge factor up there those two days. Rifle hunting was not an option. It was bow hunt only but if we had the choice a rifle would have made a huge difference. The type of hunt and the expected conditions make the decision for me. I like them both.

Last edited:
Rifle for sure. I have the choice to do either in MT OTC. I always pick rifle as it's a generous season and it jives with my work schedule. There's something about a big magnum bang flopping an animal that just does it for me.

ric flair flop GIF

Kind of like this…

Hunting with a traditional bow is the most enjoyable way for me to hunt. I like it all but I'm a meat hunter and the hunt is usually over too quickly with a rifle, often it's all over the first day.