Archery vs Rifle hunting

Chadp82

I am not trying to start a debate, I am curious as to what levels of excitement and motivation people have for both. I personally do both and find it rewarding to do both, but have discussed with people as to why one vs the other. It's draw time for most of us and this came to me whileO my being able to pick one week in one or the other. It is still undecided for me.

To start it off, I will go with early season. The rut. In Colorado, and I realize other states have rut rifle hunts, archery (and a week of muzzleloader) hit the rut. Being close to an elk when it's worked up or seeking a mate brings them in close. I have a had elk at 5-10 yds. Calling an elk in (bill or cow) is extremely fun.

On the other part, rifle, and I realize this is a long range forum, is fun for me too. Finding the game, staring across a canyon, and closing the distance is exciting to me. Also the calming moment where you decide to squeeze the trigger and see the success from across the way is fun as well.

Me personally, I enjoy both. I am sure many others do to. If you picked one over the other, why? What makes us tick? Maybe share a good story why.

I like aspects of both, and honestly if I were to pick, I would lean archery. It's warmer (although sometimes HOT in Colorado), but the elk communicate. In rifle it's spot and stalk. I like the active communication piece. I will say I do rifle more, but archery feels more in your face and it's cool to have an animal at 5 yds or less, even if you don't shoot it.

Last edited:
I get the same level of excitement whether archery or rifle. The only advantage to hunting with a rifle is range and more DRT results. Hunting with a bow forces you to pay a little more attention to wind, scent and movement.

I'm fired up all summer for the archery opener. Shooting my bows and getting stands set etc. After about 45 days of the season where I hunt well over half the days in wet, windy cold temps and more than likely frustrating scenarios, I'm really ready to squeeze the trigger on my rifle on a buck I may not have been able to connect with in the bow season. I do a week bow hunting in the UP backed up to rifle season where the temps and weather is cold and tough conditions really make me ready for gun season to start. Both seasons I am equally excited for when they get here.

A friend uses traditional and that takes it to another level! The time he puts in practicing is more of a commitment than I am willing or able to do at this time.
10-15 minutes a day is really all that's needed. Main thing is to make adjustments when necessary. If accuracy or groups are eradic, recognize and adjust. Anchor points can make huge differences in shooting unlike with a compound bow. Arrow weight, tip weight all can make a huge difference also. Adjusting a sight is all that's needed with a compound.

My preference is as you have described. I like them both, but I might favor firearm a wee bit more.
I love long range hunting. My early season deer hunting isn't LR. Mostly wooded hunting is what November is for me. My December deer hunts/kills are LR open country hunting. Hunting bean fields and cut corn fields are my late season hunts. Shooting deer in open country is my preference and this IS what I look forward to mostly. It's a great way to end the deer season for me in my home state.

I am 100% for rifle hunting and that is where I put all of my time money and effort. I have to admit I have little to no interest in archery hunting even though I do it, with our rifle season not starting until after Thanksgiving here in PA it's almost the only way to get out hunting before then.

It just doesn't excite me like rifle hunting does, This is probably due to the fact that I've had more deer duck my compound and crossbow (6) than were actually hit by it (0) which kind of turned me off of the whole thing. I'm not a fan of the idea that I could do everything right and still end up wounding a deer because it jumped at the sound of the string. I'd honestly rather hunt with my 1873 Winchester as it has a similar limited range but the deer can't duck it.