Anybody from Kansas on here?

Stationed at Ft. Riley. Once a month we have use of a 1,000 meter range. It has nice steel targets. The other range goes out to 300 yds, but we're working on making it go out to 1k using our own targets. It's the only place I've found other than private land to go out that far.

I'm in Topeka. Have mostly archery hunted the past 6-7 yrs, but getting into rifles as my boy is now old enough to hunt. Just purchased him a .243. My gun is a Marlin 336 3030 so not a long distance hunter, but looking for bolt gun. I shoot at the Capital City Gun Club west of town. Pretty cool place.

I shot there once years ago with Russ Beale, it is a nice range. Hard to beat something in the 25-06-280 range using a single rifle for Kansas, good for long distance coyotes and deer with modest recoil. Only drawback to the 25 is that there aren't many high ballistic coefficient bullets for real long range or wind. I like lots of rifles but I mostly use a 6mm Rem for yotes and 264 win or 270WSM for deer.

Good luck picking a nice gun, High Plains at Valencia Rd has some decent used guns at times and Pats in Ogden has a great selection if you want to buy a used one locally.

Last edited:
Jason here from Wichita. Grew up in Marshall Co area. 19 years AF and Air Guard (1 more to go whee!) That 1000k range up there at the Ft. sure would be a great place to leg out my new 338 Lapua.

So hello from the Air Capital..

Jason

Nice to see a bunch of you from Kansas on here. I live in Augusta and am a new guy on here. I am not really a long range shooter but am itching to get a savage 110 ba in 338 lapua. For now I'm content to pick off coyotes from my deck with my mp15 and my cooper 22/250, I have gotten 2 with each rifle lately , it's lots of fun and my chickens really appreciate it. I do like shooting prairie dogs with the cooper and antelope hunting with my 300 wby.

I went with a Savage 111G in 7mm mag. That action is looooong. Had a booger of a time mounting my Nikon scope where it needed to be, but finally got it with EGW base and Warne rings. Just need some time to shoot between soccer and softball. Might be awhie.

I'm from Mound City, but graduated college last may and live in Overland Park now. Have a couple places back home where I'll shoot 500-600yds. I think I could get approx 1000yds out of a spot but don't have a rifle capable of it.....YET! :p Workin on it and hope to soon.

I work in Olathe, just southwest of KC, and live in Bucyrus. Having a heck of a time finding a good place to shoot around here...apparently Mill Creek has 300 yards, but it's pricey.

Glad to see a few Kansans occasionally on this thread. Last time I posted here I had killed 4 coyotes from my deck, I just got #8 thursday. I have a decent 250yd range in my back yard, it has the potential to be 400 if I get a big pile of dirt for a backstop. I'm from Augusta and retired, always looking for a place to shoot prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, hogs, quail, pheasants, ducks, etc. Dennis

Hey everyone im from coffeyville good to know there are lots of kansas guys out there into this game. Ive been doing it for a while know and love it!

I just joined the list tonight and started looking it over.

I am in the Emporia area.

I got a Savage 10FP .308 a while back and now looking to learn how to stretch its legs. :D