Any 9.3x62 shooters on here?

I've got my eye on a nice Zastava m70 in this chambering.

Anyone on here shoot this cartridge? Do you love it, hate it, feel indifferent toward it?

And, to really provoke some, which would you take if offered a 9.3 or a .35 whelen?
I've had a 9.3x62 550 American for many years. It has killed deer, Elk and Bear with dispatch. When the 286 partitions grew too expensive for my preference I shifted to the 285 gr. Hawk bullets with a .035" jacket. I haven't recovered one to see if there was jacket separation in game, but I did shoot a couple into hard frozen green fir logs, and those retained roughly 80 percent weight with no jacket separation. I have used RL 15, H414, IMR 4451 and now ramshot Hunter powders. I was/am able to exceed 2400 FPS with all of these, and get great accuracy. I bought 100 Lapua cases with the rifle and had a neck split, and lost a couple in the snow when hunting. I still have the rest.

I did not like the need to mount scopes high so I added a redfield receiver sight and a NECG version of the sourdough front on their barrel band, Stock has been trimmed WAY down and is very slim with a schnabel forend. Weighs 6 lb 10 oz. and I would always take the 9.3 over a .35 Whelen

Last edited:

Anyone on here shoot this cartridge? Do you love it, hate it, feel indifferent toward it?

And, to really provoke some, which would you take if offered a 9.3 or a .35 whelen?

Well, there's absolutely nutt'n wrong with the old 9.3…..a classic! But if it were me, speaking as a hand loader and a "one gun" hunter…..the 35 Whelen!

The Whelen is also a great cartridge, with one notable exception …..for light plinking/practice/small gam/varmint loads, you can use handgun bullets, cast or factory jacketed.

The use of handgun bullets at low velocities is a method of using your hunting rifle throughout the entire year at reduced expense and recoil! memtb

I went with a little more in a 9.3x64 Brenekke. Being put together in an FN Mauser, Benchmark medium sporter barrel, and cleaned up an old but beautiful walnut stock by Bishop. Brass is a b***h to find (non-existent except for dusty backroom inventories... Sable Tireur, you rock) and ammo just as bad. RWS has abandoned us! My other 9.3 is a wildcat. 9.3/375 flanged mag in a Winchester single shot replica.

I have a zastava m70 in 9.3x62. It's a great rifle and shoots great. I also have a Remington 7600 in 35 whelen. It's also a great rifle and shooter. I couldn't choose between the two, so I went with both. If you're going to load for them, varget and cfe223 are your friend.

I have a zastava m70 in 9.3x62. It's a great rifle and shoots great. I also have a Remington 7600 in 35 whelen. It's also a great rifle and shooter. I couldn't choose between the two, so I went with both. If you're going to load for them, varget and cfe223 are your friend.
Good to know.

The auction went to a price I didn't feel this particular rifle was worth.

In the meantime my friend has an old husqvarna 9.3x62 and I have my .358 Norma mag. No .35 whelen in our group yet

Had a CZ 550 back about 15 years ago for my Alaska grizz hunt. No joy with the rifle. Killed a 62" Alaska Yukon bull moose with my 45 Colt at 15 yds. A few years after that I had a custom pre 64 M70 turned into a very nice accurate 9.3x62. It's stupid accurate with 250 TTSX and Varget. It's a favorite caliber.

Aren't they the same thing? Just with a metric designation.

i have both and shoot and hunt them. i like the whelen with speer hot core 250 gr bullets at 2400+ fps./ i shot the buffalo in my avatar with a MS rifle in 9.3x62 in africa.
That's right, I'd. Wondered about 2 calibers being so similar
I'm guessing it goes back to the metric vs sae measurement systems?

Last edited:

Have a Tikka t3x synthetic left hand with 18 in barrel. It is a light rifle. The recoil is very manageable. It shoots great with a couple hand loads that I developed. The load development was one of the easiest I have ever done. It has a very long chamber so I can load it to maximum magazine length.
I use 250 Accubonds and velocity is 2400+ FPS without pushing it. I am good to go up to 300 yards.
I have shot several larger body whitetails with it but nothing bigger yet. One observation I made is that I should be using a softer bullet for whitetails.
Another observation is that because of the big diameter bullets the blood trails are huge.
it is a great cartridge!

I have a rebarreled m1917 enfield set up as a scout. 286gr partition works wonders on moose. I have a couple of whelens too. Practically there is little difference in on game performance but I'd give the edge to the 9.3 on really big game.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 42
If you've never owned one, you just don't know what you're missing. It's one of the most amenable cartridges out there. CFE 223 is good, but horribly temp sensitive. Varget and RE-17 will take care of everything. Mine was a Husky '98 in 9.3x57 I had re-chambered. I wish I had it back. Got my brass from Graf's.
I've had a 9.3x62 550 American for many years. It has killed deer, Elk and Bear with dispatch. When the 286 partitions grew too expensive for my preference I shifted to the 285 gr. Hawk bullets with a .035" jacket. I haven't recovered one to see if there was jacket separation in game, but I did shoot a couple into hard frozen green fir logs, and those retained roughly 80 percent weight with no jacket separation. I have used RL 15, H414, IMR 4451 and now ramshot Hunter powders. I was/am able to exceed 2400 FPS with all of these, and get great accuracy. I bought 100 Lapua cases with the rifle and had a neck split, and lost a couple in the snow when hunting. I still have the rest.

I did not like the need to mount scopes high so I added a redfield receiver sight and a NECG version of the sourdough front on their barrel band, Stock has been trimmed WAY down and is very slim with a schnabel forend. Weighs 6 lb 10 oz. and I would always take the 9.3 over a .35 Whelen
How about posting a pic.