7mm STW Reloading Thread

I would use 7828 before RL22. 7828 is only 1 notch above RL25 on the burn chart, so it's slower than 22, for the heavier bullets.

I can't believe you can't find 7828 or 7828 SSC.... Even during the great powder drought of 2012-2014, I was able to find 2 powders... Hodgdon LeverEvolution and IMR 7828 SSC. That's why I swapped pretty much everything to loads with 7828 SSC...Because I can always find it at my LGS.

I was going to edit my last post so there wouldn't be so many messages with my name on them, but it won't let me edit. At any rate --

I bought two pounds of IMR 7828. Found reloading data at Hodgdon Reloading | Home and it actually looks like 7828 gives one of the highest velocities listed, so thanks for that, MudRunner.

As for finding powder here in Clovis -- nope. My gavorite store has close to a case of International Clays and it's been there for a few months. No other powder in there. I hear there's another store in town that "has some powder" but I don't know what they have. We live WAY out in the sticks here. Amost as much as Seymour, Texas!

I can't believe you can't find 7828 or 7828 SSC.... Even during the great powder drought of 2012-2014, I was able to find 2 powders... Hodgdon LeverEvolution and IMR 7828 SSC. That's why I swapped pretty much everything to loads with 7828 SSC...Because I can always find it at my LGS.

the reason you can usually find 7828 sc is no one else is using it...:D:D:D I've got a keg of 7828 and the only load I use it for is a 150 in my 270win...

Seriously, there are better choices for the heavies in the 7stw than either rl22 or 7828 (either flavor) . They include (but aren't limited to) retumbo, rl25,26,33, i7977, h50bmg, magnum, v570.

the reason you can usually find 7828 sc is no one else is using it...:D:D:D I've got a keg of 7828 and the only load I use it for is a 150 in my 270win...

Seriously, there are better choices for the heavies in the 7stw than either rl22 or 7828 (either flavor) . They include (but aren't limited to) retumbo, rl25,26,33, i7977, h50bmg, magnum, v570.
Could not have said it any better myself

So -- I just had an odd experience. Never thought of this one before.

Loaded a few 160-grain SGK's, and decided to load a few of the 180 Bergers.

First round with the Berger, I used 75 grains of Retumbo, since it was already on the bench. Went to seat the bullet, and it just disappeared! Took the die off and found the bullet jammed into the top of the die. Something about the shape of the bullet makes it stick in there. I had to take the die completely apart to get the bullet out.

Second round, the same thing happened, but I was forewarned to be extremely gentle with the thing, and I was able to actually get the bullet seated in the case, and out of the die.

Interesting. Anybody else experience this? What's a good fix?

And now I'm off to the range for a few hours. Hey, I've got ten rounds to fire, that's a LOT of cooling time! :)

Last edited:

First round with the Berger, I used 75 grains of Retumbo, since it was already on the bench. Went to seat the bullet, and it just disappeared! Took the die off and found the bullet jammed into the top of the die. Something about the shape of the bullet makes it stick in there. I had to take the die completely apart to get the bullet out.

Second round, the same thing happened, but I was forewarned to be extremely gently with the thing, and I was able to actually get the bullet seated in the case, and out of the die.

And now I'm off to the range for a few hours. Hey, I've got ten rounds to fire, that's a LOT of cooling time! :)

The samething happened to me in my redding died last night but only lost one bullet. Thought it was cuz I put it in crooked and let the die straighten it. Didn't work that way but got it out. I Loaded retumbo from 73-75 in .5 increments and seated them at bean's magic number of 3.610 I think. It's funny. The bergers are just about out of girth at that number and seem to want to fall in the case. The stay though so we will see how it works

I Loaded retumbo from 73-75 in .5 increments and seated them at bean's magic number of 3.610 I think. It's funny. The bergers are just about out of girth at that number and seem to want to fall in the case. The stay though so we will see how it works

What's this magic number bit? I used a COAL of 3.625.

Second round, the same thing happened, but I was forewarned to be extremely gentle with the thing, and I was able to actually get the bullet seated in the case, and out of the die.

They make a special seating die for the VLD's to solve that problem.

Look at Midway and Brownells for "VLD seating die".

Good to know. But, I've got it shooting some stuff sub moa. The 150gr TTSX was a clover leaf grouping and is dead on at 200 yards. The Nosler factory ammo in 140gr Partition and 160gr Accubond are super accurate. After I sighted it in, I moved to the 200 yard range and shot both rounds. First shot 140gr Partition hit the bullseye so perfectly that I thought I missed the target at first. Then hit the bullseye 1/2" lower than the 140gr with the 160gr Accubond with the next shot. Honestly, I think the rifle is shooting pretty decent. I was planning on replacing the barrel in the near future, but wanted to get some time behind the trigger on it and work up some good loads for future reference. Funny thing is, my 30-06 is the cheapest rifle I own and is extremely accurate. It's an old Savage 110 from 1996 and I spent $300 on it. Only expense was a nice Leupold scope and new Bell & Carlson stock. It's a tack driver. My expensive weapon is actually giving me some fits. I have a beautiful Sako 75 300 WSM that seems to be off a couple of inches every time I shoot it. I'm starting to think my Zeiss Conquest may not be holding it's zero anymore since I have to adjust the elevation to re-zero every time I shoot it lately.
Can you give me some insight on why I had a sticky bolt with the 150TTSX the last time I shot it and didn't when I first worked up the load?

The 110 shooting accurate is not all that surprising, '06 is easy to load for and savages are stupid accurate for an out of the box no frills gun. I've owned dozens and never had one that wasn't a shooter without me gaging to mess with it. My only 700 needed a new stock and and a lot of load work to get it to shoot right.

Recent Posts