7mm STW Reloading Thread

A very long time ago I worked up an elk load for a friend using Norma MRP and the 175gr partition. The most accurate load we came up with was 70.4 Grains with CCI magnum rifle primers. We just loaded them to mag length.
i use 73gr of norma mrp with nosler 168gr custom competition ,its a tackdriver in my rifle,
rem 700 custom with lohtar walther barrel 1:9,25 twist 26" and a musselbrake at the end

i use 73gr of norma mrp with nosler 168gr custom competition ,its a tackdriver in my rifle,
rem 700 custom with lohtar walther barrel 1:9,25 twist 26" and a musselbrake at the end
With the 9.25 twist you're probably on the bubble stability wise with anything 180gr or heavier. Before buying the heavier projectiles I'd suggest looking on the mfg's website to be sure.

Admittedly I'm not big fan of max loads and running the heaviest possible bullet. Barrel life is longer with slightly stepped down loads and if you're not shooting small stuff beyond 600yds the difference in BC isn't enough to make much difference.

The STW is hard enough on barrels without pushing the limits.

With the 9.25 twist you're probably on the bubble stability wise with anything 180gr or heavier. Before buying the heavier projectiles I'd suggest looking on the mfg's website to be sure.

Admittedly I'm not big fan of max loads and running the heaviest possible bullet. Barrel life is longer with slightly stepped down loads and if you're not shooting small stuff beyond 600yds the difference in BC isn't enough to make much difference.

The STW is hard enough on barrels without pushing the limits.
im trying to reach 2800yards, but maybe i have to change the barrel, i need long stable bullits

im trying to reach 2800yards, but maybe i have to change the barrel, i need long stable bullits
Then I recommend buying a .408 Cheytac...It's much more purpose-built and suited for this task.

But if you plan on attempting this with a 7mm STW, you will need to build a custom rifle with a really long barrel shooting some super heavy high-BC bullets.

Then I recommend buying a .408 Cheytac...It's much more purpose-built and suited for this task.

But if you plan on attempting this with a 7mm STW, you will need to build a custom rifle with a really long barrel shooting some super heavy high-BC bullets.
If I wanted to shoot that far I'd buy a .375 Cheytac.

I use VIT N570 and 195 EOL with a custom 8.25 twist 30" Bartlein 7STW. I also found that powder to be amazing in a factory 7RM Sendero with 180 VLD. I tried the same powder/bullet STW setup when the factory 9.25 twist barrel was on and it did not shoot the best, but man could you get a lot of speed compared to Retumbo.

Surprised there isn't more use of the Ruger #1, in this chambering. You get a 26" bbl in a shorter format than w/ any bolt gun. Running long throated rounds is a cinch, as there is no magazine to acomodate.
I run a 160 Nosler Partition at 3300+, using H1000. It just hammers elk, but elk are not on my menu any longer.