Votes: 176 38.3%
  • 7mm/300 WSM

Votes: 120 26.1%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 164 35.7%

• Total voters
I would vote 7mmSAUM

BUT

I would build a .284 over one myself. I have a 284 that shoots 162Amax's @ just under 3200 fps with a 30" barrel and 2950 with 180's. The 284 is more efficient than any of the other cartidges on this thread and it is very easy to make shoot and you can get much more out of it than you would ever think.

Great discussion here. I've got a huge hard on for the 7mm bullet selection and will build my next bolt gun in 7mm for sure.

I picked 7mm/300WSM for one simple reason: brass selection. If Lapua made straight 7mm WSM brass it wouldn't be such an issue, but the 7mm/300 WSM unlocks high end brass, just need to fire form and turn the necks.

Plus, the 7mm/300 WSM REAMER has dimentions for a longer neck. get the basic drawing of your smith's reamer and then trim brass to a few thou of that length.

If Lapua made straight 7mm WSM brass it wouldn't be such an issue

Last I checked lapua didn't make any wsm brass at all. Did you mean to say norma wsm brass?

Heck, at this point in the game any wsm or saum brass can be scarce! I was considering the 7mm saum for my rebarrel but alas no brass, so I'll stick with my 7mm wsm, since I have the brass already.

If Lapua made straight 7mm WSM brass it wouldn't be such an issue

Last I checked lapua didn't make any wsm brass at all. Did you mean to say norma wsm brass?

Heck, at this point in the game any wsm or saum brass can be scarce! I was considering the 7mm saum for my rebarrel but alas no brass, so I'll stick with my 7mm wsm, since I have the brass already.

I think Norma is producing 300SAUM brass now. You could always neck it down to 7mm.

There seems to be no relevant difference in popularity between WSM and SAUM in the poll, so why is SAUM brass so uncommon with the manufacturers?
I voted SAUM because I am having one built right now, but I have been waiting for 6 months for PT&G to supply the reamer!
I wander if that would be the case with the WSM.

Those issues aside, I think any of the 3 choices in the poll are on par for all practical reasons and You would be splitting hairs to argue otherwise.

I also think people tend to get too bogged down with decisions (me included) when they should just get out there and start pulling triggers gun)

There seems to be no relevant difference in popularity between WSM and SAUM in the poll, so why is SAUM brass so uncommon with the manufacturers?
I voted SAUM because I am having one built right now, but I have been waiting for 6 months for PT&G to supply the reamer!
I wander if that would be the case with the WSM.

Have you tried
4D Reamer Rentals? http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Rifle+Calibers

Those issues aside, I think any of the 3 choices in the poll are on par for all practical reasons and You would be splitting hairs to argue otherwise.

Agree!!!

I also think people tend to get too bogged down with decisions (me included) when they should just get out there and start pulling triggers gun)

Just one gnawing question if I may: where can i find 7-300 wsm reamer and dies???

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I can say that I have a couple of rifles chambered in 7mmSAUM and they're very easy to load for, have good barrel life, LOVE Varget, and are reasonably accurate.

If you go that route, go to Midway and set it up for them to notify you when some brass comes in. I think they only make a couple of runs of that brass each year. I have plenty (for me) and no I don't have even one piece I'd let go of... LOL

I DO have a few boxes of factory 150gr Core Lokt I'd let go of for a reasonable price if they're not too hard to mail though... No I didn't buy them myself... i got them with one of my rifles and they shoot well but I'm committed to 140gr Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds.

None of your choices are bad ones but the other two (7mm/300 wsm) IMO have considerably more recoil (yes I've shot them all) and for me that would be a deal breaker unless I was building a fairly heavy rifle.

$bob$

I should not make this chose complicated, and therfore go for the 7mm rem.mag you shooting a 150 grs bullet at 3150 fps, the other hot ones will for sure limit the life of the barrel, and it need to be changed after 450-500 rounds, so if you only hunting with it dossent matter, but if you reloding and target shooting on steel its better with a 7 mm reg mag, and there is always factory loaded ammo to get in each small town.

If the target is out to 1200 yards the 7mm rem mag will do the work.gun)

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 105
Quick question....But what is the difference between the 7mm/300 WSM, and the 7mm WSM? I would have figured the 7mm & 300 WSM's both utilized the same case?

Sorry for the ignorant post....Just kind of curious when I saw those 2 options listed for the poll.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.