What 7mm is best for me?

• 7mm SAUM

Votes: 176 38.3%
  • 7mm/300 WSM

Votes: 120 26.1%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 164 35.7%

• Total voters
Try and convince any of the top 1000 yard Benchrest shooters that faster is always better.
Good luck with that.

James
"Speed ONLY helps" is not "faster is always better".

They aren't even on the same plane.

Speed does help.

For one thing the shorter flight time means less time for changes in wind and other conditions.

For another, faster means less drop at any given range with the same bullet.

Max loads though rarely are the best overall performing in any weapon, but that doesn't mean speed is not an important factor to be considered.

I always try to find the sweet spot between maximum speed and tightest group for any rifle as do most shooters I know who are serious about the sport.

Last edited:
This isnt benchrest. This is hunting.

Tikka's are all long actions. You want the best possible chance of hitting and killing an animal.

Out of your choices the 7 wsm does it. 7 rem mag would be better though.

Good luck!

Chris

This isnt benchrest. This is hunting.

Tikka's are all long actions. You want the best possible chance of hitting and killing an animal.

Out of your choices the 7 wsm does it. 7 rem mag would be better though.

Good luck!

Chris

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but how does a 7 Ren Mag kill better than a 7 WSM? I own neither so I'm not trying to say "mine is better than yours." The 7 RM, 7 WSM, and 7 SAUM are all very similar in ballistic performance, maybe 50 fps difference between the three given the same bullet and barrel. When it comes to shooting LR, hunting LR, or competing LR the 50 fps doesn't mean squat. After the rifle is built and an accurate load is found, it's the dope on the rifle and, more importantly, the dope behind the rifle that decides how accurate a particular rifle is.

No worries, I love a good debate.

Nothing kills better than anything else. Better is an intangeble. However, killing faster, killing more accurately, is tangeble.

If you build a SAUM, based on it shooting the 180 vld at 2900 at 1/2 MOA, but for some reason that barrel wont shoot it well, what do you do?

With the 7 Rem mag, you are at least 150 Fps faster, so you have the same chance of it shooting well, but if it doesn't, you can move up a weight and still have a good short range trajectory. Or, you can go down a node, and still have most of what you wanted.

Aim low, miss low?

50 fps doesn't neccesarily mean everything. There can be 50 fps between two identical builds. However 50 fps on the average, means something, to me anyway.

Its performance for free, so I don't see why you'd turn it down?

Chris

50 fps may not mean much for target shooting but in hunting LR where ranges are ofter taken in far from perfect scenarios ie that rock 50yds to the left of the animal at 1000 plus yds etc in those scenario that 50 fps could be inches of vertical and if you are off by a few yards there is an element that comes into play. Again its small and I too am not picking a fight but close in the vitals and close out of them are two very different things. Again ES is more important than fps but flatter still can help.

No worries, I love a good debate.

>Great.

If you build a SAUM, based on it shooting the 180 vld at 2900 at 1/2 MOA, but for some reason that barrel wont shoot it well, what do you do?

>I would not build a SAUM to shoot 180g bullets. The WSM or Rem mag will do a better job.

With the 7 Rem mag, you are at least 150 Fps faster, so you have the same chance of it shooting well, but if it doesn't, you can move up a weight and still have a good short range trajectory. Or, you can go down a node, and still have most of what you wanted.
Chris

> My 7mm SAUM shoots 160g bullets at 3000 with several powders.
My 7mm Rem mag would only shoot them at 33 fps faster.

>I don't see any relevant velocity difference between 7 Remmy and 7 WSM. I do agree that either of these will shoot 180g VLD 50 fps or so faster than the 7 SAUM. If this is important to you, you know what to do. gun)

Yeah 150 was more from what ive seen, but again, it depends on the rifle, and the average seems to be less, 50-75 fps.

I guess my point is that 33 fps is free, there are no downsides to going 7 rem mag over 7wsm, but at the end of the day, the wsm is sexier.

Chris

Remember with the straight 7 Rem mag. that you have a much longer cartridge, limiting overall length in a standard long action and you have a belt (if that matters).

7WSM or SAUM are much better case designs IMO and are a wash between the two. If I was re-chambering a barrel it would be in WSM for ease of finding brass. but thats just becasue I've always had a hard time finding brass other than the really common stuff.
If that wasnt the main consideration I would go SAUM. both really cool cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.