7 SAUM vs 284 Win

I'm building on a origins Long action. My dream was a TL3 medium but this long action came up and I figured I'd have it would have a greater versatility for now. I am an experienced reloader hence why I chose one of these two. For hunting I was contemplating the high 160 &170gr. for target I was definitely looking at the 180s
Is it a .478 or a .535 bolt face? If .478, you could do the .284 Win since you already have brass for it (Lapua will make more at some point), or you might consider 280 AI for a bit more speed.

Last edited:
This is a very sweet hunting stick. I'm blaming you now for my trip to the poor house. 🤣. Need details….. I emailed Greg at SPR yesterday afternoon. He has Nanook LA's in stock.
You'll like it at the Poor House …. Great bunch of guys there !! 🤣

I'm headed back there myself. I'll be driving a different rig tho, a 300 SAUM twin to my 7, 😜

See ya there !!! 👋

Last edited:
Gits ya SAUM !! 😉
@vern.284
@Mark37082
My build details listed in post #109
Wearing a NX8 4-32 currently.
(needed more top end magnification) 🤓

Last edited:
My 284 coming in at 5.6 lbs and pushing 168 Berger's at 2930 fps. The more I hunt with this rifle the more I only hunt with this rifle. Quickly has become my go to rifle. Low recoil and great accuracy. I've taken several elk and deer from 350 to 640 yards with zero complaints.
IMG_8353.jpeg

My problem is I'm on the need to try something different kick. I doubt I will get any better performance and efficiency than my 280AI, but my hope is the 7SAUM will work a bit better in a shorter barrel. That's my thinking and justification, and I get to take the long road to build something different.
Same mind set and mine is in the making with LPR.