280 AI vs 7 mm SAUM

I've got a couple of each of these. They are all great but I think I'd give the edge to the 280 AI......I just think it's extremely hard to get ANY of the short mags to cycle in a bolt gun as flawlessly as a standard diameter 30-06 length case will.....
...I am going through that design struggle right now...it would be so easy if I just caved and went to a LA w/ a short barrel hahahahaha

#2 for Sherman improved cases in SAUM. He also has brass.
Before I chose the 7WSM I was going to go this way but was limited to only 50 pieces of brass which as of now you can only get with the purchase of their die set which of course you need. Then I looked at the SAUM and couldn't find anything. With everything available for the 7WSM it just made more sense for now. Picked up Forster dies and 200 pieces of new Hornady brass for $325. Hornady brass is not ADG by any means but with some good prep work it will perform just fine.

I have had no problems with finding SAUM brass, purchased 300 new cases within the last 3-4 months.
I have a 7SAUM , 7 SAUM IMP. and working on a 6.5 western using SAUM brass and fireforming like the Sherman cartridges

I don't have any experience with the 7SAUM but I have built several 280AI's. I find that they are very easy to load for, have almost zero recoil, and shoot extremely well. I have shot 140 grn TSX, 150 grn ABLR, 154 grn SST, and 162 grn ELD-X bullets out of these guns and all of them have been extremely accurate. My trusty rifle that I hunt everything with has a 27.5" Lilja #2 barrel, VX-5 3x15 scope and weighs 9lbs loaded with 5 rounds and sling. Even though I have had many choices over the years, I find myself always reachíng for the AI when I head out to hunt. I have a custom 28 Nosler that I built 4 years ago that remains unfired due to my passion for the AI.

I'd get a used Tikka long action magnum, rebarrel to 7saum, use mountain tactical or hells canyon magazines. Throat it out long to get max use of the case capacity. Tikkas are cheap, require zero truing, excellent easily tuned factory trigger, feed like butter and the bolt runs like its on bearings. I'd use one for every rifle build I did that had a cartridge length under 3.3"

I picked up a Ruger No. 1 in 280AI just because. Very nice wood.

Nice,

I think you will be happy with the .280ai , probably used it by now.

I'm happy with mine . Built on a Tikka action. As @highdrum said, they are cheap, effective affordable Huning rifle actions.

Mine is around 1/2moa and has taken a few Fallow deer with 140gn Woodleigh ppsp

Indeed it does. This rifle turned out to be a bit of a headache and took some time to figure out the reason for the premature pressure sign. Now, it is on the mend thankfully. It shot great and looked well, but had this pesky issue that took a long time to identify...

Recent Posts