7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

Rich,
If you are getting 12 reloads on your brass, that is a good sign.

That is what is what I think. As Rhian mentioned, there is no way to tell for sure what the pressure is. Having said that; if the velocity is better and the brass is lasting every bit as well, if not better, then I am fine with whatever the pressure is. Add to that being able to cycle in a short action, and likely better barrel life. Unless there is a greater need for a factory case; I will take the SS every time...Rich

If the doubts are coming from 3200+ with 180's; then I totally agree that those pressures are much higher!
That might be a good comparison though; if someone is brave enough. Try running a 180 in your 23" saum at 3230 something and let me know how it goes.......Rich

Speaking of a long action Saum, would there be any benefit to doing a SS in a long action Rich? I've got a Savage in 300 Win sitting around and wondering if maybe I should turn it into a 300 SS :D

If the doubts are coming from 3200+ with 180's; then I totally agree that those pressures are much higher!
That might be a good comparison though; if someone is brave enough. Try running a 180 in your 23" saum at 3230 something and let me know how it goes.......Rich

In all honesty and with all due respect, I completely disregarded the 180's out of a 23in. tube @3200 information. IMHO, that's not only reckless but crazy.

After reading the post about getting 12 firings on the brass a lightbulb went off and I noticed you mentioned "below 3000" and I've been focusing on all the 3000+ talk and even the over 3000 with 195's comment, not taking in to account these are likely arbitrary and just for conversation.

I think there are a lot of guys who would be surprised what pressures their running thinking some special throating or powder is giving them free velocity when all were doing is changing the pressure curve and what the case shows. Running a pressure trace was very interesting when you watch pressure, time and velocity vs what you see on the case!!

Speaking of a long action Saum, would there be any benefit to doing a SS in a long action Rich? I've got a Savage in 300 Win sitting around and wondering if maybe I should turn it into a 300 SS :D

I guess the benefit would be if you wanted to throat it out farther, but I really do not think you would gain too much more.

I think there are a lot of guys who would be surprised what pressures their running thinking some special throating or powder is giving them free velocity when all were doing is changing the pressure curve and what the case shows. Running a pressure trace was very interesting when you watch pressure, time and velocity vs what you see on the case!!

I would largely agree with you on this.

It would certainly be worth the price of admission to have the opportunity to spend a few days, weeks, months, or however long before they ran me out, in a testing facility playing with different combinations to see exactly what the pressure really is. Would be really interesting to see how close they match up to the pressures QL gives you. So far on all of my stuff, QL is amazingly close with regard to velocity.

Hey, before I forget, how far off are you all seating the 180's for best accuracy in your 7 SS's???

I would largely agree with you on this.

It would certainly be worth the price of admission to have the opportunity to spend a few days, weeks, months, or however long before they ran me out, in a testing facility playing with different combinations to see exactly what the pressure really is. Would be really interesting to see how close they match up to the pressures QL gives you. So far on all of my stuff, QL is amazingly close with regard to velocity.

Hey, before I forget, how far off are you all seating the 180's for best accuracy in your 7 SS's???

I run the VLD's about .005" off. I ran the Hybrids there too, but they also shot well with a jump that I don't remember just how far? I am out of town so do not have access to my data..........Rich

I might have missed it, but would this cartridge feed out of a BDL system, say with a Wyatt's extended box and obendorf bottom metal? How about ejecting unfired cartridges? Or is it necessary to run a DBM system?

I might have missed it, but would this cartridge feed out of a BDL system, say with a Wyatt's extended box and obendorf bottom metal? How about ejecting unfired cartridges? Or is it necessary to run a DBM system?

Yes, it will feed but it works best with a center feed.......Rich

Got my build started off yesterday. Meet with Chad yesterday at Longrifles Inc., and we came up a pretty cool setup. Mausingfield M5 Short Action .536 bolt face. Surgeon bottom metal, Manners EH5 Stock, K&P Barrel 1:9 twist Rem Varmint Contour finished at 24", Jewel Trigger, and LRI 4-color Halo Badlands camo paint. The wait begins! Fortunately LRI is known to get builds turned around fast when the parts arrive. My only dilemma is should I stick with a steel barrel or go Proof Research?

Got my build started off yesterday. Meet with Chad yesterday at Longrifles Inc., and we came up a pretty cool setup. Mausingfield M5 Short Action .536 bolt face. Surgeon bottom metal, Manners EH5 Stock, K&P Barrel 1:9 twist Rem Varmint Contour finished at 24", Jewel Trigger, and LRI 4-color Halo Badlands camo paint. The wait begins! Fortunately LRI is known to get builds turned around fast when the parts arrive. My only dilemma is should I stick with a steel barrel or go Proof Research?

Aren't the Mausingfields pretty heavy actions...? Seems like that might be a way to cut weight down a bit, if you're hoping for a "lighter" weight rifle.