6MM Creedmoor Dead?

More than any cup and core bullet by a fair bit. We ran some original Barne's X's at over 4,000FPS in in a 17 Rem back in the seventies.
I have a 6-284 that exploded 108 gr match kings @ 3400ish fps with a stout charge of rl22.
Left copper jacket shards all over my 100 yard target

I have a 6-284 that exploded 108 gr match kings @ 3400ish fps with a stout charge of rl22.
Left copper jacket shards all over my 100 yard target
That doesn't really surprise me with a thinly jacketed target bullet like the SMK.

When we were hotrodding the 17 Rem circa 1976 the only bullet we could find that would stay together was the original Barnes X. Of course in that era there were no more than a literal handful of component bullets available in the whole industry much less in .177.

Those born or just getting into the sport since 1990 will never be able to fully appreciate all the options available today.

I really think it's just now getting popular. I honestly think it will be probably the hottest 6mm cartridge. I like it so much I have 2 now. Kids love shooting it. My wife loved it so much she asked if she could elk hunt with it I quickly said no….your using the 7 saum I just built lol
6cm is too light for elk....not that it wint kill them, but I just hate chasing those big animals down the canyon waiting for them to bleed out after a double lung shot

That doesn't really surprise me with a thinly jacketed target bullet like the SMK.

When we were hotrodding the 17 Rem circa 1976 the only bullet we could find that would stay together was the original Barnes X. Of course in that era there were no more than a literal handful of component bullets available in the whole industry much less in .177.

Those born or just getting into the sport since 1990 will never be able to fully appreciate all the options available today.
the barnes-x is totally copper if I remember. A copper hammer or even barnes x might make a good hunting bullet for my 17# 6-284.

the barnes-x is totally copper if I remember. A copper hammer or even barnes x might make a good hunting bullet for my 17# 6-284.
You are correct on both counts. @4,000fps+/- It's either going to take a very thick, strong jacket or a solid to hold together.

Cup and core bullets, and we tried several all did the same thing. We'd see one puff of smoke between the muzzle and about 40yds mark when the jacket separated, and another just in front of the 100yds target when the rest burned up.

We only figured out for sure exactly what was happening when we recovered a few partial jackets between us an the 50yds mark.

They are moving the firearms operation to Georgia. Remington was owned by Cerberus Capital Management a private equity firm. The Cerberus group is a capital equity firm that I believe was hoping they could by cheap and then flip the firm in a future sale. Their weakness was that they are bean counters and that just does not lead to a good product. Current new owners The Round Hill Group an "Investment Company" claims they will not operate the way the private equity guys did. Round Hill claims their goal is to return the brand to its roots as a quality gun manufacturer, we will see. So production will not remain in NY and it is different owners.
Cerberus bought the gun division in 2007. That was separate from the buy out of the rest of Remington.

Today, Cerberus is the parent holding company but created a new company that actually builds the firearms ostensibly for liability reasons and they license the use of the name from Vista who actually owns the name and logo.

A complicated mess.

It's sad that NY/New England has become so anti gun as to run off all of the manufacturers and even the NRA but that creates more opportunities in more gun friendly states and those new manufacturing plants are putting in state of the art equipment whereas Remington had been using a lot of worn out machines for decades due to as you say the bean counters.

I would love to see Remington get back to what it once was as a company producing outstanding rifles and innovative new rounds but we'll have to see. They have been plagued by fools in their design/engineering and marketing departments since the seventies.

Had the bunch at APR rifles build me one of their Altitudes in a 6mm CM. I've always shoot 30 cal magnums for everything. Just want to say it's been a pleasure to shoot. I haven't developed any loads for it yet, but it's shooting under .75 MOA with factory 103 eld-x ammo..I've taken a nice 8 and several hogs with it this season..All one shot kills in their tracks or ran less then 50 yards. It's a great deer and hog rifle that has made some of the magnums dust collectors this past year.
My .260 Rem's have had the same effect. Using half the powder or less than some of my boomers has been a big plus as well.

I would love to hear any hunting results on the 6mm creed not trying to steal the OP post but I am very curious on how it works on game animals and varmints. Thanks!
Pretty much exactly the same as the 6mm Remington and .243 Winchester. Same bullets at very close to the same velocities are going to result in the same results.

Plus availability of factory ammo still….
The problem is that as popularity increases demand for ammo will grow and they can only produce so many.

There's a lot going on within the industry right now to increase production but we're six months or a year away from them being able to come close to meeting total demand and then another six months or year for them to catch up on back orders before the market pressure starts to ease and that's assuming no more major interruptions in the supply of raw materials.

This and brass support are very good reasons to run this cartridge.
What he said! I've run 243, 6mm Rem, and 6 Creed, and the Creed is my favorite, hands down. If the 6 Rem was designed correctly (that is the rifles made to shoot the 6 Rem), the 6 Rem could mop the floor with the 6 Creed. But even given proper twist and freebore, the 6 Creed would still be a better round because it's easier to tune as stated above, and it's easier to tune in large part because of the quality brass available. Everyone makes small and large primer brass- Alpha, ADG, Norma, Lapua, Peterson, Starline, and Hornady and Nosler at least make LRP cases. Even PPU and Winchester have offerings (I think) in LRP.

Next, you can always find brass because no one makes rifles chambered in it for the masses anymore. When I say that, I mean there are no sub-$1000 rifles unless there may be a Ruger American Predator or something like that. Browning was making them in all their X-Bolts, but as far as I know, they' only doing that in a high end Pro model now, I think. I bought one in a Savage Desert Tactical the first year they introduced the new modular tupperware with 26" Savage Vamint weight barrel. I did run a tuner brake on it, but I very quickly and easily dialed in way-sub-1/2 MOA groups with 103gr ELD-Xs and Reloader 17 with speeds over 3100 fps without pushing it. 7.5 twist. Savage might still have one, but I'm not sure.

The reason you can readily find brass is because no major maker has them anymore. It's people like us on this forum that keep the demand for the brass up. It was the only round I know of that never completely went out of stock everywhere. Only mainstream round, anyway.

It's like the 7mm SAUM. They had a gem on yheir hands when they introduced it, but only us long range hunters and competitive shooters saw the advantages - many of which has been made obsolete by the Sherman line, but still...

I think my all-time favorite 6mm is the .240 Wby. That's an apples and oranges comparison, and this isn't the place to debate it, but it's not one you plink with or you'll be replacing a barrel soon. I will definitely own more 6 Creeds!

What he said! I've run 243, 6mm Rem, and 6 Creed, and the Creed is my favorite, hands down. If the 6 Rem was designed correctly (that is the rifles made to shoot the 6 Rem), the 6 Rem could mop the floor with the 6 Creed. But even given proper twist and freebore, the 6 Creed would still be a better round because it's easier to tune as stated above, and it's easier to tune in large part because of the quality brass available. Everyone makes small and large primer brass- Alpha, ADG, Norma, Lapua, Peterson, Starline, and Hornady and Nosler at least make LRP cases. Even PPU and Winchester have offerings (I think) in LRP.

Next, you can always find brass because no one makes rifles chambered in it for the masses anymore. When I say that, I mean there are no sub-$1000 rifles unless there may be a Ruger American Predator or something like that. Browning was making them in all their X-Bolts, but as far as I know, they' only doing that in a high end Pro model now, I think. I bought one in a Savage Desert Tactical the first year they introduced the new modular tupperware with 26" Savage Vamint weight barrel. I did run a tuner brake on it, but I very quickly and easily dialed in way-sub-1/2 MOA groups with 103gr ELD-Xs and Reloader 17 with speeds over 3100 fps without pushing it. 7.5 twist. Savage might still have one, but I'm not sure.

The reason you can readily find brass is because no major maker has them anymore. It's people like us on this forum that keep the demand for the brass up. It was the only round I know of that never completely went out of stock everywhere. Only mainstream round, anyway.

It's like the 7mm SAUM. They had a gem on yheir hands when they introduced it, but only us long range hunters and competitive shooters saw the advantages - many of which has been made obsolete by the Sherman line, but still...

I think my all-time favorite 6mm is the .240 Wby. That's an apples and oranges comparison, and this isn't the place to debate it, but it's not one you plink with or you'll be replacing a barrel soon. I will definitely own more 6 Creeds!
If they'd just change the name taking "Creedmore" out of it I' think I'd own at least one too. 😆

Recent Posts