6mm creedmoor opinions

Canhunter35

Anyone using a 6mm creedmoor and how are you liking it?
Looks like it would be an ideal coyote round with the advantage under 600 yds going to the 6mm over the 6.5mm creed?

^^^ One of my all time favorite 6mm's. I hope I'm never without one. With that being said, back in the day brass was a real PITA to find. I'm not sure what the situation is today.

t

Norma 7×57 mauser brass (6mm rem parent case), sized one step to 6mm Rem, then fire form.
Excellent brass, on my 9th firing, 105 vld 3370 fps.

We've been chambering and building a decent number in 6mm Creedmoor here at Gunwerks this year. Awesome little round! We've been a fan of the 6XC for years, and there's still some internal debate among a few of us for personal preference between the two. I think the most attractive benefit of the Creedmoor for me is brass and component availability. Hornady is fully behind supporting this cartridge. While it may become a little too "mainstream" for some of the wildcat lovers, speaking practically, I think it's hard to beat for a 6mm cartridge. Brass will be cheap and easy to come by for a LONG time to come. The Hornady factory stuff is actually cheap and accurate enough it almost makes it worth just running factory, even for a diehard hand loader.

Please tell me the advantage of the 6 Creedmoor over the 6 XC as case capacities are very close? Why are either of these better than .243 Winchester except for Mr. Tubb's original concept of the 6x and 6xc feeding through a bolt action rifle reliability with enough power to shoot X's and 10's in Accross-the-Course compititions.

It just seams to me that every few decades shooters rediscover stuff that already exists. Look through P.O. Ackley's book in the 6mm section to see what I mean.

But I am really interested in finding out why any of the above listed are better.

Thanks

Jerry

For myself,
I like the fact that hornady components for the creedmoor are readily available along with factory rifles chambered in 6mm creedmoor with fast twist barrels ready to sling heavy high bc 6mm bullets.
The 6.5 creedmoor achieves the same working velocities as 260 rem with less powder, I assume a 6mm creedmoor is much the same as the 243 in that respect.
That's why I'm interested in the cartridge, but hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I don't own one, but the shorter case length allows one to seat a looooong bullet where it should be in a case in a short action bolt gun. It's a good modern case design, and now there's better brass to boot.... All I need now is for it to be made in a factory rifle worth buying.

Savage is making some interesting 6mm creedmoor options. I'm looking at the new stealth with the magpul stock

3050-3100 fps with 115 dtacs and h4350. The 110 smk's also shoot well at about the same speed. Barrel life will not be noticeably better than a .243 in the ones I have seen. A buddy has one on a surgeon 591 that gets shot a ton.
Replacing barrels just shy of 2000 rounds but that is always a bit of a convienence thing on a competition rifle.

In the PRS sport, which has contributed heavily to the development/movement to the 6mm's from the 6.5's, it is being driven largely by lighter recoil and the ability to enhance accuracy/speed with higher scores adopting a free recoil shooting style. For coyote hunting, used with high BC bullets, I'd expect the 6mm CM. X47, or XC to all perform well to 1000+ yards. My buddies 6XC is exceptionally accurate, and surely capable of taking coyotes at long range. My personal favorite of the lot for targets and LR coyotes is the 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5x284 for general game/varmint hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.