6.5mm variants and barrel length

H4350....I used standard 260 data and worked up slowly until I saw pressure then backed off a bit. I was unable to get good speed with slower powders in the shorter barrel.

thats what I am looking for what powder are you using?

The problem with the 260 Rem based cartridge (and most other short action cartridges) is that they don't have enough magazine room to give reasonable seating depth when used with available 139+ grain VLD bullets.

Here are case lengths of several common 6.5 cartridges.
6.5 Grendel 1.515
6.5x47 Lap 1.850
6.5 Xreedmoor 1.920
260 Rem 2.030
6.5 RSAUM 2.035
6.5 WSM 2.090 ?
6.5x55 Swedish 2.165
6.5-284 2.170
6.5 Rem Mag 2.170
6.5-06 2.494
264 WM 2.500
Everything up to and including the 6.5 Rem Mag can be used in a short action, but in my opinion
any of the cases longer than the 6.5 Creedmoor aren't suitable for 6.5 VLDs fed from a short action (2.80") magazine. The four common magazine lengths are
2.28" (223 etc)
2.80" (308 etc)
3.34" (30-06, 7mm mag)
3.60" (7mm STW, 300 H&H, 378 Wby).

Sure, there are others, but it needs to be considered when choosing a bullet, cartridge, action, and magazine. What works for varminting and short range big game often does not work well at long range.

LB thanks a bunch you verified what I have been speculating and as a beginner and first time build I really need to spend the money on what will work for intended purpose. A few things I have learned here and elsewhere. Brass is very important use the best brass and make sure the action and magazine can seat the intended bullet far enough forward to utilize case capacity. This is where the long action is preferable. I have read reports of guys getting close to 2900 fps with a 140gr VLD from a 6.5 x 55 by having it chambered to allow forward seating of the bullet and using a long action, Lapua brass and most efficient powder. I guess I'll have to settle on a 24" minimum barrel. I'll just have to knuckle under and start training again. It's not just the extra 4" of barrel I think about I am also getting into this ultralite backpacking so the philosophy is to go lite, go far and easier. (get away from the crowds) This place is great a wealth of knowledge here thanks guys.

edited-- trying think where the patagonia mtns are-I grew up in Phoenix and the best times of my life were deer season and dad and uncles we all trekked down into some areas of AZ I shall not reveal online. I plan on getting back there and hunt those remote ridges now the family is all gone at least one more time before I move on. There are some truly amazing areas of AZ so long as the crowds haven't found them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.