6.5mm variants and barrel length

M_freeman

which of the 6.5mm non magnum variants provide for the most velocity with the shortest barrel? I have been reading through my books and so far it looks like the .260 Rem provides the most velocity with a shorter barrel? anyone know about this appreciate any info.

which of the 6.5mm non magnum variants provide for the most velocity with the shortest barrel? I have been reading through my books and so far it looks like the .260 Rem provides the most velocity with a shorter barrel? anyone know about this appreciate any info.

What barrel length are you talking about?

You generally get higher velocity by burning more powder with light bullets in longer barrels and high pressures.

A 6.5-06 (not a magnum but 68 grains capacity) shooting 85 grain Sierra HPs (lightest common 6.5 bullet) from a 16" barrel (minimum US legal rifle barrel length) can give 3100+ fps at safe pressure.

I have a 15-7/8" XP100 pistol in 260 Rem which shoots 123 grain Lapua Scenars giving 1300 fps at 1000 yards but it's only 2600 fps muzzle velocity. Lighter bullets have more velocity but less range and quickly lose energy. It helps that I shoot at a mile elevation.

Am wanting to do my first custom build it will be a backpacking rifle for deer and elk my desired range will be 400 yards on elk and 700 yards on deer size game. I want to shoot the Berger VLD 140 gr in 6.5mm just trying to figure which variant will get me the fps in a shorter barrel 22" max. I really like what I read about 6.5x55 but not sure how much extra weight the longer action will add and my Sierra manual used a 29" barrel and for the fps they got I need a shorter barrel. I would be hunting from 3000 ft and above.

with the swede?
Yes, or with any of the other cartridges you are considering.

Take the manuals MV for a certain barrel length, then subtract 40 fps for each inch until you get to 22 inches-That will give you a ballpark of what that cartridge will do in a 22 inch barrel.

I have a pre-64 264 Win mag "Featherweight" rifle which has a 22" factory barrel. It will push the 140 Bergers to about 3000 fps using Hodgdon Retumbo. Wear hearing protection, the muzzle pressure is over 18,000psi!. It has a flatter trajectory, less wind deflection, and more downrange energy than any of my other 6.5s. I think it would be acceptable for the hunting you describe.

I'm presently having a 28" 264WM Rem 700 fitted by Pac-Nor. It will be heavier and less portable than the old Win 70 but it should give over 200 fps higher velocity.

You can get much more velocity out of the 6.5X55 Swede in a modern stronger action that the Mauser 96 action that Sierra used in their load work up. Those loads are under the SAAMI Max 46,000 C.U.P that the old Mauser 96 small ring Mauser action is rated for. In a modern action you can about equal the 6.5-06 velocity with the 6.5X55 Swede.

LuBoyd I have a 27 3/4" barrel on my 264 Win mag and I get 3350 fps with Retumbo and 130 Accubonds. 3200 fps should be very realistic with 140 VLD.

In 17-18" barrels with the 6.5-284 I will get between 2700-2775 fps at the muzzle with 140 grain bullets.
I work for the most accurate load not the fastest.
The 2775 MV was in a 17" tube 1-8 Krieger with 140 A-Max's.
Lapua brass that light ejector mark on the case, but boy was it accurate.

great info thanks, I do like the idea of a heavier contour barrel and fluting it. Man sounds like the .264 win mag is a rocket.

I can push 140`s to 2950fps out of the 24" barrel on my 260AI. Just started playing with the 120 class of bullet and 3200fps looks doable.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.