6.5 PRC Hornady brass wont size correctly. Dent on shoulder. Confused.....

Im hearing some of you say "lube inside the neck"......?
If you are using a standard die with an expander on the decapping rod, Yes, lube the inside of the case neck. Get a nylon bristle case neck or bore brush and put a small amount of case lube on the bristles. Brush in and out about 3 times turning the case as you do so. Do not "gob" it on. A very thin coating is all you need.
You might find out that you are pulling the neck and shoulder forward when pulling the case over the expander dry causing it not to chamber. Take a 9mm pistol case, knock the old primer out, flip it upside down over the case neck and take a measurement with your calipers before you size. Then, take a measurement after you size and you'll find out how much you are bumping the shoulder. With lubing the inside of the neck, you may find out you have the die adjusted too far down.

Last edited:
Too much lube. One quick fix for that is to use Imperial Sizing Wax. Touch one finnger on the wax and apply to body of case as you turn it. That works great for me. Alternnative, believe it or not, is One Shot spray. Stand cases up and spray lightly from slightly above, so a little goes in neck. Turn the cases 180* and spray again. LIGHTLY. I believe Dillon's spray lube is just alcohol and lanolin, and it works well too. in any case, you must use some form of lube or you'll stick a case in your die.

If you are using a standard die with an expander on the decapping rod, Yes, lube the inside of the case neck. Get a nylon bristle case neck or bore brush and put a small amount of case lube on the bristles. Brush in and out about 3 times turning the case as you do so. Do not "gob" it on. A very thin coating is all you need.
You might find out that you are pulling the neck and shoulder forward when pulling the case over the expander dry causing it not to chamber. Take a 9mm pistol case, knock the old primer out, flip it upside down over the case neck and take a measurement with your calipers before you size. Then, take a measurement after you size and you'll find out how much you are bumping the shoulder. With lubing the inside of the neck, you may find out you have the die adjusted too far down.

This is an excellent point and I'm surprised I didn't think of it myself. I had experienced the same thing many years ago before I switched to bushing dies.

One thing that will really help evaluate your problem is the purchase of a headspace gauge. They are rather inexpensive and will give you a wealth of information as you progress inro reloading.

FWIW - I always measure the base-to-datum line on new brass, once fired brass, brass that has been fired a few times and brass that has just been resized.

One note, Redding dies do not have a vent hole, every bit of lube is being trapped in the shoulder area of the die…clean it often with a cotton bore mop, do NOT lube your shoulders and do not use unpolished buttons.
I just spent a few hours polishing the buttons in my new Redding Deluxe die set for 300RUM, they are now exactly .306" and highly polished.

Cheers.

I have a ton of once-fired hornady 6.5 PRC brass. The problem im having is sizing. Im using a Redding precision sizing die. I have tried sizing high, low, in between and every way i can think of but the brass still either wont chamber or is extra tight when chambering (hard to close bolt). If i keep turning my die down (even after it has contacted the shell holder) it will eventually chamber but then i get a large dent on the shoulder. So there's NO WAY thats good for accuracy. Can anyone help here? Anyone seen this or fixed it?

Thanks everyone.

Kevin
You could try a body die , I did and it worked good.

Case dent is too much lube. Just clean out the resized die and it will be better but you still have to lube the casing.
As for not chambering correctly I had the same issue. I finally took my die out to the belt sander and took a few thousands off the bottom. I can now size to only bumping the shoulder back 2 thousands inch and it has never chambered as smooth. If you send it to me I'll do it for you. Takes about 45 seconds

I have a ton of once-fired hornady 6.5 PRC brass. The problem im having is sizing. Im using a Redding precision sizing die. I have tried sizing high, low, in between and every way i can think of but the brass still either wont chamber or is extra tight when chambering (hard to close bolt). If i keep turning my die down (even after it has contacted the shell holder) it will eventually chamber but then i get a large dent on the shoulder. So there's NO WAY thats good for accuracy. Can anyone help here? Anyone seen this or fixed it?

Thanks everyone.

Kevin
FWIW….I reload for Across the Course matches. 100 rounds.
After about 50 pieces I pull the die out, decaping stem then soak in mineral spirits. Cut the top off a empty laundry detergent bottle. Swab out with patches. I use the Frankford Arsenal lube. Works good! Resetting the die I leave about 1/16" give or take between die and shell holder. As I resize I start trying 2 or 3 pieces and incrementally adjust the die until it feels right, bolt gun, gas gun, open it up and push the BCG in with thumb. I ALWAYS trim brass to minimum length. New dies soak in spirts, follow manufacturer directions. HTH

Thanks everyone.

Kevin
When all else fails call Hornady describe the problem and see what they say. 👍

Hey again everyone. Just letting you know that the dent problem is FIXED. Ive sanding (by hand) on the shell holder but thats no bueno....case hardening.....duh. taking the shell holder over to the belt sander this evening. Going to take increments of .002" at a time and see where i land. I am ALSO going to lube the necks. Can some clarify if i lube both inside and outside of the neck or just the inside? Also....do i have to use dry lube on the inside?

I also want to say ........THANK YOU SO MUCH. To all of you. This whole deal has had me so frustrated and even angry at times. (Maybe i should have stuck with the good ole .243 win........).

But again.......THANK YOU ALL. You have helped more than i expected in so many ways.

Great guys and folk in this forum.

Kevin

IMG_6459.png