6.5 Creedmoor Taking Care of Business

Zen Archery

1477670578762_zps5o7uurcq.jpeg

Large sounder continues to evade me! They have been very inconsistent. When they come in they stay for almost hour and the longest 4.5 hours.

Coyotes were howling early and close but none came in until the late hours (or early depending on your interpretation).

The Hornady 143gr ELDX have been devistating to hogs but on soft skinned animals like coyotes I do not believe bullet is expanding properly. I had to take secondary shot on 2 coyotes for proper dispatch.

Enjoy the video! Gonna load some Berger 140gr Hunt VLD's.
[ame=https://youtu.be/rt8vw43HpgE]Click here to watch video.[/ame]

Last edited:
YEP! 6.5 CM will "reach out and touch 'em".

I have a 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator and a 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle. The RAP is almost as accurate as the Precision Rifle.

I'll be hunting by December just outside the 'Vegas valley. I've hunted foxes in Penna. but never coyote so I'm gearing up this month (Nov.) Most of the fox calls will works on 'yotes.

Eric B.

BTW, maybe the Hornady 129 gr. Superformance would work better on 'yotes. I'll know by the end of December.

Huntsman,

Excellent long range build! I like Bushnell's Elite series of scopes. I put an ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 (H59 reticle) on my Ruger Precision Rifle. And your MDT chassis is top quality. I may get another MDT version for my Rem.-actioned .300 Win mag HS precision target rifle.

Do you like the can? I was thinking of getting "The One" can to use on both 6.5 CM and .300 Win mag.

I have a RAP also and really like it. I know there are a lot of Savage supporters out there but people who try a Ruger American lear they are very accurate with the right ammo. Just put a Boyd's laminated stock on it with a Savage 110 metal trigger guard instead of the Boyd's plastic guard. Fits perfectly. Also I added a really crisp Timney trigger which I set at 2 lbs.. That will help with accuracy.

Since my RAP is for hunting I got a SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 scope (mil/mil) and FFP. The RAP was $385. and the scope $540. on sale. I haven't put as much money into my build as you have since I have the RPR too. Got to get to the range to test my RAP with hand loaded Hornady 143 gr, ELD-X hunting rounds.

Then back home to reload some rounds to see what it likes. I have some Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M bullets and Berger 140 gr. Hybrids. We'll see. With the factory stock and trigger my RAP could regularly get 3/4" groups at 100 yds. I may run some abrasive Tubb polishing rounds through it so I don't get so much copper buildup.

Guys at my long range matches are finding that the best accuracy comes with some copper buildup but not too much, of course.

Eric B.

That's awesome!
I second trying the 129gr sst. I have had great expansion with them on coyotes both with my R A P and my 26" gasser.
Thanks for the video

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.