6.5 Creedmoor 120gr "coyote" bullet?

RevJim

New to the 6.5 CM and want to use the Barnes 120TTSX for antelope/mule deer, pigs. However, I'm also looking for a 120gr in any Match or similar that will open up on a coyote? Not a fur saver, but don't want to send a solid copper Barnes across the prairies, or ricochet near stock. I can always just use the 90-95gr bullets made for that, and will at some point. Just wondering what you 6.5 shooters have used/seen used in 120 that worked?

Personally. I go with 95gr Hornady V-Max or 100gr ElD-X for varmints and coyotes. In 120gr, the Hornady 123grSST should provide what you are looking for. FWIW, Friend of mine who does not reload uses the Hornady 129gr SST factory stuff for everything. Accuracy in his 6.5 CM Savage Axis is outstanding.

I would use the hornady 123 eldm. I used the 140 eldm for coyotes out of my 6.5, and I use the 75 eldm out of my 223 and 22 Grendel. Put it where your suppose to and they are drt, about a quarter size hole in and out.

Just Cut- so you feel like the tip on that Hornady 123 ELDM helped it open up some? I've used Sierra Match Kings in other calibers and they just made a pinhole. I don't mind screwing up any communist, but I don't want to do that to Mr Wiley, ha.

I have shot a lot of animals with the eldm's, and had great success with very consistent results.

Don't want to hijack, but in my search for a long range FUR FRIENDLY coyote (and occasional wolf; I'm in AK) bullet I came across the Lapua 144 gr FMJBT. In fact that bullet has just about got me to build up a 6.5 instead of a 6XC. Anyone use them?

Ordinarily, I would use Nosler 120 as I loved it in a 6.5/284 for coyotes to Fallow deer, but can't find any. I am going to give the Hornady 120 ELDM a whirl guys, thanks!

I don't have a creedmore but i've used the Nosler Ballistic tips in 100gr and 120gr out of my 6.5x55 Sweede and 6.5 Grendel to great effect on Mr Coyote. Only used them out of the Sweede on one but shot several with the Grendel. Mostly the 100gr out of the Grendel. No dramatic exits from the lower velocity but still put them down quickly. The one shot from the Sweede had a very nice exit hole since I hit the offside shoulder. He went nowhere but down.

You are going to have two different sight settings anyway using two separate bullets. Might as well go with a varmint bullet of sorts for coyotes.

95g V max

Problem being if you only clip one, you want the speed to get the jacket to open up and make a mess of the coyote.

85g Sierra HP if you can find any are very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.