.45 ACP Powder

Which Powder for .45 ACP

• Total voters

SES50

I just bought all the pieces to start reloading .45 ACP on my Dillon XL650. I have been looking around at powders and come up with the following two that seem to be what alot of people are having good results with. So I figured I would see what guys on here are using. I am planning on running 230 gn round nose FMJ. Which powder do you guys suggest from the list or if you have a better option let me know.

Bullseye
Unique
Other (Please State)

Thanks
SES50

I'm a big fan of Unique in most autos in the 380-45 ACP range. Very versatile, and today's formulation is much cleaner than the older supplies of this powder. There are others that work as well I'm sure, but Unique is a standby for me.

FWIW, I've been using Longshot with 180-230gr pills in my 45. Seems to be working pretty well, although I've not done a lot of serious testing/group shooting.

For range use the clean, fast powders:

Clays
S-1000
VV N-310
WST

For full power, mid-range speeds - Universal, N-340, Power Pistol even, HS-6.

So is the new Alliant Clays alot cleaner burning than the other powders? Or are you guys talking about Clays made by Hodgdon?

So is the new Alliant Clays alot cleaner burning than the other powders? Or are you guys talking about Clays made by Hodgdon?

Original Hodgdon Clays. I've not seen any pistol data for Alliants version. FWIW, 3.9 grains of Clays under a 230 grainer is sweet...soft, clean & accurate.

I have good luck with longshot, its clean burning and it meters well in my Dillon.
I mainly use it in 9mm, 40, and 45acp.
I've used it in 357mag, 44mag, and 45gap.

Just my .02.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.