.375 cheytac build under 16lbs

7RUMER

I am working on building a .375 Cheytac and want to make it legal for big game hunting where there is a 16 lb maximum. Anyone here have experience doing that and would you be willing to show the rigs that make that mark and the components it took to do it? Thanks for the help!

I saw a build someone was doing like that not long ago....I believe his finished ready to hunt weight was around 12ish lbs....seemed everyone (including himself) was rather comcerned how the recoil would be. Maybe he got a chance to finish his build and will chime in on recoil. That would be my only concern.

I believe it was one of the single shot actions, either one of the Manners elite stocks or mcmillan light stocks, like 30" carbon barrel, titanium brake, etc.

As stated above...carbon fiber everything. Ounces turn into pounds real quick, so look at lightweight rails, rings, and a scope. If you have a single shot you removed some wieght by not having a mag or bottom metal. I would buy one hell of a brake though. Whatever the best, no BS brake is on the market, buy it!

Out of curiosity whats the intent behind the 16lb rifle rule? Thats sounds really strange. Also, how do you enforce it? Do game wardens walk around with scales to weigh it?

As stated above...carbon fiber everything. Ounces turn into pounds real quick, so look at lightweight rails, rings, and a scope. If you have a single shot you removed some wieght by not having a mag or bottom metal. I would buy one hell of a brake though. Whatever the best, no BS brake is on the market, buy it!

Out of curiosity whats the intent behind the 16lb rifle rule? Thats sounds really strange. Also, how do you enforce it? Do game wardens walk around with scales to weigh it?
Idaho has a 16 lb limit. And yes, they have scales. Not totally sure what the purpose is or where it came from/what initiated it....would be interesting to know.

Manners and Mcmillan both said that they would not build a carbon fiber stock for that caliber. I ordered a BAT single shot action.

Idaho has a 16 lb limit. And yes, they have scales. Not totally sure what the purpose is or where it came from/what initiated it....would be interesting to know.

Blah, that is so weird. I bet its a maximum caliber limit. But there are so many calibers that have different F/lbs of energy and FPS that to limit confusion they just abitrarily assigned weight of the rifle to limit caliber choice.

The 16 lbs came from people using 50bmg to fill Theyr whole family's elk tag. Like 50bmg on a Jeep. So hunting became a straight up harvest. Not really fair to elk herd or a guy with a 4x scope on grandpas 06. That happened in central idaho I believe. I heard that @ hunters ed in about 1990s. I always went to hunters ed with my friends and brothers so I got to hear wardens tales quite a bit. I fear that more restrictions could come due to irresponsible people ruining things and lacking discretion in whats posted on the youtube ECT.

https://www.hillcountryrifles.com/product/long-range-extreme-tactical-rifle/

This rifle is 16 lbs. They used a McMillan A-5 with sniper fill. Go with a more sporter type stock design, use the lightest contour carbon barrel you can (I would talk to Hells canyon armory), use your ss action vs repeater, take care in your choice of optic/ring/base combo and you could have your finished rifle under your requirement I would bet.

I know you already have an action, but if you get a repeater action and then just put a light weight single shot follower in, it may save a few oz's vs the single shot.

Its probably doable, you don't need anything longer then a 29.5" 9 or 10 twist barrel in order to maximize what the 375 Cheytac can produce for speed. So look at a carbon wrap barrel, a Pierce Percision brake, McMillan A5 stock with scope you should be close.

JJRock if you look them up are building 375s that are in the heavy Cadex Chassis, 29 1/2" carbon wrap barrels, 375 repeater action with a 10 round mag with a Night Force scope and a Charlie Tarac mounted to that and with a folding bipod and of course a brake - yet and the whole package that their team is using only weighs in at 23.5 lbs. so you won't need the Charlie Tarac, folding Bipod ? The 10 round mag and the stock should be lighter then the Cadex chassis. I would give Jon a call at JJRock Co. and see what he says.

Osoh

Mine is currently 16.5 pounds (w/out mag and bipod), if I replaced the McMillian A-5 I think I can get it lower. It is on a Tac 408 1.6" repeater that I mostly run single shot. If I were to build a rifle today to be even lighter it would be on the 1.45" action and single shot. It has a 30" Bartlein that was contoured down quite a bit and Magnum Muscle brake from Piercision Rifles (also slightly countoured down). Shooting 375 grain bullets at 3150 FPS and recoil is noticeable but not that bad. Swap the brake out for the suppressor and it really gets your attention.
I would also get a tighter twist barrel in case I wanted to shoot heavy monos. I also have a heavy 36" incher with an 8" twist for such occasions. Combine that with my NXS and the weight goes up 9 pounds.

Attachments

• CF9C003A-6DF6-47EE-AD71-82D2303B9BD1.jpeg
    CF9C003A-6DF6-47EE-AD71-82D2303B9BD1.jpeg
    975.3 KB · Views: 247
Mine is currently 16.5 pounds (w/out mag and bipod), if I replaced the McMillian A-5 I think I can get it lower. It is on a Tac 408 1.6" repeater that I mostly run single shot. If I were to build a rifle today to be even lighter it would be on the 1.45" action and single shot. It has a 30" Bartlein that was contoured down quite a bit and Magnum Muscle brake from Piercision Rifles (also slightly countoured down). Shooting 375 grain bullets at 3150 FPS and recoil is noticeable but not that bad. Swap the brake out for the suppressor and it really gets your attention.
I would also get a tighter twist barrel in case I wanted to shoot heavy monos. I also have a heavy 36" incher with an 8" twist for such occasions. Combine that with my NXS and the weight goes up 9 pounds.

Thanks! What is the weight of that TAC 408 action and the Bartlein barrel you are using?

Also, what would you replace the Mcmillan A5 with? So far that is the lightest option I have come up with. And what scope do you have on it?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Kirby uses for his 375 allen mag, but they come in right at 16lbs ready to hunt. He's a great guy and would my first call if I was looking to do that.
Mine is over 21lbs and a small child could shoot it without any problems so I don't think taking 6 or 7 lbs off would make it too bad. He uses a Bat model M single shot action and an A-5 to get there I believe. Not sure on barrel contour but I'm pretty sure he uses Lilja barrels.
It shoulnd't be too tough to get under 16lbs, getting to 12 would be a bit more problematic.

th
I'm not sure what Kirby uses for his 375 allen mag, but they come in right at 16lbs ready to hunt. He's a great guy and would my first call if I was looking to do that.
Mine is over 21lbs and a small child could shoot it without any problems so I don't think taking 6 or 7 lbs off would make it too bad. He uses a Bat model M single shot action and an A-5 to get there I believe. Not sure on barrel contour but I'm pretty sure he uses Lilja barrels.
It shoulnd't be too tough to get under 16lbs, getting to 12 would be a bit more problematic.

Thanks! How do I get ahold of Kirby?

It's best to e-mail him.
[email protected]
I'm going to have him rebarrel mine this year, it's shot out.
I decided on the allen magnum, so if you go with the standard cheytac, I have some new bertram and peterson brass I could sell you at a good price if your not set up yet.
That said, if you haven't started yet, you might want to look into the 375 allen mag as well.

Recent Posts