338 Sherman Brass

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 338 I believe I'd just start with a relatively light load and jam the bullets into the lands a ways to set headspace rather than working the brass all the way to .35 and back?? Maybe I'm overthinking the brass thing but that seems to me like a lot of stretching of it. I necked up and back down to form the false shoulder on my 270 sherman though and it worked good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 338 I believe I'd just start with a relatively light load and jam the bullets into the lands a ways to set headspace rather than working the brass all the way to .35 and back?? Maybe I'm overthinking the brass thing but that seems to me like a lot of stretching of it. I necked up and back down to form the false shoulder on my 270 sherman though and it worked good.
You can do it several ways but my preferred way is a false shoulder and still jam the bullet with a moderate load

Why do you prefer the false shoulder? It seems like jamming cheap bullets with a light load is easiest...., right?

Found some Norma brass... $90/100. Now to get is sized up to 35 cal

Now... barrel length? 24" or 22"? I'll put a brake on it for sure.

Found some Norma brass... $90/100. Now to get is sized up to 35 cal

Now... barrel length? 24" or 22"? I'll put a brake on it for sure.
I'd do it in steps for sure. .270-.308 as a max step. .308-338 then 338-358. Those are the biggest jumps I'd do.

I know you said to start with 270win brass. Why couldn't you start with 30-06? I'm just curious.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.