338 rum and 270eld x load data needed

jaeger19

Well had a good load for the 338 rum with 280 grain barnes lrx...
And found out that on a second loading of Remington brass. I had a severely sticky bolt. Had to open it with a wooden hammer.
So..while I am doing a ladder test with the barnes to find the best load that won't stick..
I bought some 270 eld x bullets. Since I have heard they have great performance and high bc. Plus I though being shorter than the barnes..I would have more case capacity.
And I can't find load data..
I figure some of you guys must have work up such a load for 338 rum.
So I'd love to know some min max loads ..primer and powder etc.
Thanks

Check out Hodgdons reloading data online. They have data for 275 gr bullets- you should be able to start with that.

I couldn't find data for the 285 gr Amax earlier so I looked that 275 gr and 300 gr bullets and kinda figured it out from there.

Good luck and be safe!

Check out Hodgdons reloading data online. They have data for 275 gr bullets- you should be able to start with that.

I couldn't find data for the 285 gr Amax earlier so I looked that 275 gr and 300 gr bullets and kinda figured it out from there.

Good luck and be safe!
Thanks..
So would bullet shape/length matter?
I know with all copper bullets they are longer per weight than lead bullets so this influences case capacity.

Thanks..
So would bullet shape/length matter?
I know with all copper bullets they are longer per weight than lead bullets so this influences case capacity.

Barnes long copper bullets create lots of friction. Right in the load data it shows that you use less powder compared to the same weight lead core. Invest in a barnes reloading manual

This sounds like more of a brass sizing issue than a load issue.
Well I thought maybe
I had full length sized everything before the first load. Shot fine.
Full length resized everything and reloaded.
And the Remington brass got stuck.
So..I thought maybe thr problem was the shoulder not being bumped back far enough.
So I full length resized again with the shoulder pushed back as far as I could get it with standard die. Made sure they fit in gun empty and they were fine. Then reloaded and test fired and guess what...stuck again
Reloaded some more dropping the powder charge to middle of the recommended data.
And they extracted just fine..

Barnes long copper bullets create lots of friction. Right in the load data it shows that you use less powder compared to the same weight lead core. Invest in a barnes reloading manual
Have the manual. I was worried about using barnes data with other lead core bullets because the difference in bullet construction.

Have the manual. I was worried about using barnes data with other lead core bullets because the difference in bullet construction.

If you look at online hodgdon reloading it will often list several kinds of bullets for each weight. So you can directly compare Barnes copper to lead cores.

COL / distance to lands can really effect pressure. Long throated barrels have much less pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.