Drill Bit Sharping Machine

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We have hundreds +++ of Drill Bits made from
High speed carbon steel to Colbalt
Titanium Coated Drill Bits
I know that there are different drill bits for the material being drilled, the drill bit material itself, the Flutes, the Angle of the cutter.
We drill a lot of SS and high Carbon Steel.
What is anyone using to sharpen their Drill Bits????
Some of our Drill Bits are Very EXPENSIVE and need to be maintained by sharpening. You just don't throw away and buy another.
We have several Drill Presses and Mills.
Any help on a good Drill Bit Sharpener would be appreciated. Need the Sharpener to be able to sharpen very small bits to the larger Silver Deming Bits.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Drill Doctor is best I've found...
But raises a question when you mention S&D/reduced shank, large bits (over 1/2") for me depends on application- quantity of holes, material being drilled and thickness. Many ways to make a hole, including mag drill/annular cutter- cutters ain't cheap, but they're far more efficient for drilling holes over 1/2" in thick steel. That said, can't foresee a need for this type of holemaking in typical smithing applications.

The V-390 might be what you're looking for? Grinds up to 3/4" or if you want more options on angles and splitting points the XT-3000, not cheap…

I have the XT-3000 with CBN for HSS and diamond for carbide at work. For anything over 3/4" and Morse taper shank I have a Sterling pedestal grinder, it is a great machine for large bits.

The V-390 might be what you're looking for? Grinds up to 3/4" or if you want more options on angles and splitting points the XT-3000, not cheap…

I have the XT-3000 with CBN for HSS and diamond for carbide at work. For anything over 3/4" and Morse taper shank I have a Sterling pedestal grinder, it is a great machine for large bits.

WOW really nice.
BUT I am not doing industrial amounts of sharping. Just for our shop and limited drilling. Just want to keep every drill bits sharp.

Great Thanks
Years ago I would sharpen by hand. I just want something more easy and simpler now.

Len, if I sharpened it by hand at any point in my life, you take one look at the bit and think I suffered from Parkinsons.

I am pretty sure we use that Darex in our sharpening crib at work, I'd need to call our tooling guy and ask, it looks right, never paid that much attention to it.

Len, if I sharpened it by hand at any point in my life, you take one look at the bit and think I suffered from Parkinsons.

I am pretty sure we use that Darex in our sharpening crib at work, I'd need to call our tooling guy and ask, it looks right, never paid that much attention to it.
Darryle
Thanks
Thats what I would do now. It is why I am looking for a grinder.

It will depend on how you value your time as opposed to creating a saleable product.

In aircraft and aerospace shops, we has a man who handled all of our sharpening. In smaller shops without this convenience we sent our sharpening out. The initial cost of the machine, set up time and time sharpening could not be justified when we could send the tooling out for sharpening and keep working. But if your time is not valuable according to your profits, buy a machine and learn how to use it properly.

;)

Recent Posts