338 Edge + P now available from Defensive Edge

rscott5028,

As you probably know that with most of my wildcat designs, as long as I can get extreme performance, great consistancy and acceptable barrel life, I am all for whatever you can get safely out of a rifle.

I had very high hopes for the Hybrid throat design on my wildcats, was hoping to get another +100 fps out of my wildcats and it IS possible to get that but at a cost. At least at these extreme performance levels.

The Edge however is a unique round, its sort of a transition round, very high performance but not extreme. That is why it works so well. It pushes the performance levels about as hard as you can yet still have a comfortable round for barrel life and such. This is likely why Shawn is getting acceptable barrel life out of his +P throat design while I was seeing a bit more accelerated throat wear with my wildcats.

I think we would both agree that for some of the smaller chamberings, there is HUGE promise in these designs.

Good

You really want to get us both reved up, throw in some hunting in there as well!!! Good friend, good rifles and good hunting, that is the life we are all after!!!:D

There Are TONS of info on the 338 EDGE. With documentation from the originator Shawn Carlock as well as others that he built rifles for. Give him a call, he will anwser all questions, and like he said, accept dimension designs on his new +P.
Great job Shawn. :)

Not trying to offend anyone here but I am sure Shawn is not going to post detailed drawings of his +P throat design so that everyone and their dog can be doing the same thing tomorrow without any investment or experimentation.

I started my Hybrid throat design around the same time Shawn started testing his +P design and that was a couple years ago. Over that time alot of research, testing, investment, retesting and more research and usually more investment goes into coming up with something and proving that your idea actually works or does not work. Then you have to decide it its worthy of offering to the public. At this point, you will easily have several thousand to tens of thousands of dollars into reamers, test barrels, test rifles, componants and not to mention labor and range time getting enough bullets down the barrel to prove your idea.

Knowing what Shawn has done for our sport in pushing the performance envelope I get a bit offended when someone says, "Come on, give us all your detailed drawings so we can see for ourselves how its done!" To me that sounds like your saying, "I do not believe you, prove to me why it works" Weither that is your intention or not, the fact that you demand these specifics rubs me a bit the wrong way.

Shawn invested the time, effort and money to bring something to the market. Shawn is not the type to offer something to the public that WILL NOT work as advertised. I know this for a fact. If Shawn says his +P design is doing something you can bet on the fact that its doing exactly what he is reporting.

he has never "HYPED" anything and has no need to PROVE anything to anyone. If you like what you read about the 338 Edge and the +P version, call Shawn and get a rifle ordered. If you are skeptical, fine but do not demand the exact dimensions of his designs so that you can see how this is possible.

Sorry if I took this the wrong way but it seems pretty forward to ask for this type of thing from someone in this business or any business like this where it is extremely competitive in pushing the performance envelope.

In this day and age, there is not a lot that has not been done before. For the select few that still stay up at night dreaming up ways to blow the doors off current performance levels which I include myself in that group along with Shawn, when we come up with something that actually works from our own ideas and theories that we put into action on our own dime and time and prove, Well, he has every right to keep the internal dimensions a secret!!!

IF you want this performance call Shawn up and order a rifle. It will do what he says it will do.

Nice Post Kirby, im in the landscaping business and developed my own way of hydro-seeding. Want your new yard to look like the one i did down the street? Simple 8 cents a square foot, am i going to tell all of my goodies and snake oils? not hardly. Btw i just came up with this blend overnight didnt have to invest any time or money to come up with this carpet effect.
Mike

If Shawn has developed something worth having, he deserves to be compensated provided he hasn't infringed on the patent rights of others.

To do so, he will need it properly protected. The lawyers will be the first and last to profit.

Trying to keep it a secret once the first rifle gets into the public domain won't be possible. It'll be too easily reverse engineered. But, that's no reason for him to release too much information too quickly.

It will ultimately need to stand up to public scruitiny and peer review as has the original 338 Edge. I don't know if he ever made a nickle directly off of that one. But, he has certainly made a name for himself.

Everybody should just cool their heels until he's ready to unveil the finished product.

-- richard

I have to agree with Kirby and Shawn on this. Intellectual property is a valuable item and must be protected as much as possible by the "inventor". I built a sizable and profitable business in the aircraft electronics industry by constantly developing new and innovative products. A few of those products were patented over the years but most were not. It is a very costly and time consuming process to patent an invention. In many cases it is simply not worth the effort, or the lawyers don't think it is patentable, or any one of a 100 different reasons..... a patent may simply not be feasible. However, it is still valuable intellectual property and if you expect to stay in business must be protected.

I had many products copied over the years and generally there was nothing I could do about it. But I certainly did not send out copies of the circuit schematic, software code and parts list to anyone who called and asked. Yeah, they could buy one, reverse engineer it and copy it, but I certainly was not going to make it easy for them! If someone has told me "I'm not going to buy one of your "black boxes" until you send me the the software code" I would have told them to just go ahead and buy the competitors product that don't work as well and call me back when you get ready to buy the better product.

Hang in there Shawn, when you start getting rifles in the field and people are posting how great the performance is, all this "how are you doing it" will die away.

WOW, all I can really say is it is nice to have people who believe in you and willing to tow the line on your behalf.

I am not going to say too much here simply because I am not much of an online debater. However I will say this, like others have posted I have spent considerable time and money testing this idea and even more money to lock up a patent on it. I bellieve that the idea is worth it. I am not going to publish the specs or technique on the +P design for a number of reasons. First and for most I tested and retested, if you don't want one don't buy one. Second I made not a penny of the 338 Edge design or name or anything else about it except building rifles based on it. I do however get calls everyday asking for info about loading, fixing problems, and performance issues of rifle chambered in 338 Edge that other smiths built. Those calls are a huge waste of my time and of no benefit what so ever. I do answer those questions none the less. We quit selling reamers in 338 Edge simply because people would call to buy one and want to spend 2 hours on the phone getting me to tell them how to set one up like we do. We of course learned our setup ther hard way and that takes time and money. So I choose early on that I was locking it up, not telling anyone anything, and building some rifles. If you want to know the specs you will have to just figure them out for your self (good luck with that by the way). As with the 338 Edge I will freely give load data we have used and gun setup questions no problem but don't bother to ask about the +P design. Again those of you who understand and have supported us thank you, glad to have you as customers and friends.

Instead of making a 260 just a +P and bring it up to an AI. Why not take a 260AI and make it a +p. I don't know maybe its a dumb idea you'll have to excuse me I read a post on here two pages back and I think it might have made me dumber. I guess you might run out of case capacity?? But if that would work you would have something between a 6.5X284 and a 6.5 wsm. That would be kind of a chick magnet.

wow!
All I need to know about the edge is it likes 90 grains of h1000, brass is still good after 11 firings and after 723 rounds still shoots crazy good. all this talk about the +p makes me want one. All I need to know about it is shawn says it works, and how many grains of h-1000 to feed it.

I have always been quite clear about the fact that I was sure I was not the first one to neck a 300 RUM out to 338. If you had done any of the amount of research you claim you would have seen this in the first sentence of "History of the 338 Edge" posted both here and on my own website. Also posted here and on my website is most of our load data clearly outlining barrel length, twist, and our use of standard pressure for 300 RUM brass. We have had water weight comparisons with other popular higher capacity 338 magnums and many other post about performance levels and configurations. THere have also been hundereds of posts from owners of 338 Edge's ( both one we made and others) claiming the same load specs and performance. Has this been a huge conspiracy of advertisement and hype? I just don't know how to make it much clearer, the only thing that we have not provided is a reamer print drawing. I suspose we could have done that too but what is the point? Since you have made several points very clear, mostly that you feel there is not any specific info about the 338 Edge to support the claims about its performance, then maybe you should look at a different chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.