338 Edge + P now available from Defensive Edge

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Alot of people have been waiting to here the details on this and we have now finished testing. The 338 Edge +P is not a modification to the case design at all, the case remains the same as the standard 338 Edge. The patented +P modification is a throat design that lowers peak chamber pressure allowing more powder to be burned (6-8 grains) giving an additional 150-175 fps. In my mind this is just free velocity. My only concern initially was would the mod effect barrel life or accuracy. It did effect accuracy for the better in all 3 test rifles. Barrel life is past 800 rounds now and I am certain barrel life we meet or possibly exceed a standard 338 Edge. There are some items to note about the +P:
  • The overall length required is 4.00" with a 300 SMK and over that with a Gen 2 Berger, this requires that it be built in a single shot only format. I don't see this as an issue as alot of people run their repeater rifles in this mode anyway. We had to do this to gain the extra effective case capacity allowing room for the extra powder.
  • Because of the design and mechanics of the +P mod we are not going to be able to convert an exsisting Edge to the +P version.
  • I am not going to describe the +P technology so please don't bother asking. I will say that it is applyable to most calibers. Certain case capacities and designs are more suited to it than others. We will be testing the 7 WSM +P next (big shocker there). The 7 WSM should run about 7 STW velocities. Applying +P technology to a 338 RUM dosen't work there is not sufficent case capacity to allow enough room for the extra powder needed (at least not with an acceptable powder).
  • As we are adding more powder to the round, platforms with longer barrels will show more benefit from this +P chambering. A 24" barreled 338 Edge would not gain 150 fps over a standard Edge in that platform. We have one test rifle in +P with a 34" Kreiger barrel shooting the 300 SMK @ 3140 fps and shooting in the low .3's.:D I believe in a standard LRH rifle 30" is optimum for the +P.
  • It takes tooling and testing to develope these rounds, we will let you know as they develope there is no need to call and say can you +P my 6 BR or my 300 Win Mag. We are not going to do this mod without proper testing. I have seen the results of incomplete testing and just won't allow that here.
  • I will add to this post to keep all data and testing together so keep an eye out for new posts on it.
I hope this covers most of the questions you have had, if not fire away.

This is one, of the many, things I truely appreciate about Shawn and his dad, absolutely nothing but straight foward talk without any razzle dazzle marketing BS.

Reminds me of Joe Friday from the TV show Dragnet, "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts"....

The Edge +P sounds like an awesome combo and you can do it without spending alot of money.

Think about it, well over 3000+ fps in a .338cal using cheap brass and your factory Remmy 700 receiver. That's putting and *** whipping on the 338-378 and it has, as some on this site like to call it, a HUGE case capacity. :)

Hell, what's NOT to like about this setup!

Well done Shawn!!!

Congratulations, Shawn, for working through this long process and bringing it to the lrh market. Many will be following this closely. I still don't understand how you can get that barrel life with what must be a shallow angle leade...

H1000 is still the powder for us. Ther LRKM is still a little way out we had to build all trigger components from scratch (this was unexpected) but we are getting it all dialed in. I don't have a time frame, don't want to set one I cannot meet. As with any development project it always takes longer than expected.

JMDEN,

It is not a shallow leade angle still std 1 degree.:D

Well, whatever it is (have your fun with me as I try to figure it out! :D), it sounds like you've made a breakthrough and I wish you the best in using it.

There must then be some shallow taper introduced to the lands themselves, introduced by the barrel maker or the reamer, to let the bullet engrave to standard barrel dimensions more slowly or something...

You've got the very small and rusty wheels in my head turning...:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts