33 Nosler load

Second,
Starting point...yes... Would like to get a 250 and 265 going about 2800fps for a net result. This will be on a Montana 1999 with a 3.65 mag box and a 1-9.4 26 in proof sendero contour barrel.

Ed
Seating bullets out to the lengths in your pic, you should be able to get the 265 over 2900 I would think. You pick up a bit of case capacity vs me at 3.41". I tried h4831/265 lrx and ran out of case capacity as I started to see pressure signs, I was well into compressed loads before I got flattened primers and a hint of stiff bolt lift. Accuracy was good, but I didnt get a chance to chrono them.

Built my 33 Nosler to be a "badlands buster" not necessarily a LR rig... However, with that being said.. I have tried a few different bullets so far.
26 in Krieger M40 contour SS (Vias break)
B&C M40 stock from a 700 Long Range
TriggerTech set @ 1.5lbs
Vortex Viper HS 4-16-(44?)
She comes in around 11.8-12lbs.

250 Sierra Game King 78 gr of RL19 WLRM (want to try the SMKs)
300 SMK with 74-75.5 grains of 7977 WLRM
300 CC same powder charges as the SMK.
No matter what I do, any Nosler bullet that goes down this pipe is 1MOA... be it factory ammo or handloads. The SMK is 1/2-3/4 moa... The 250s have a sharper recoil, yet the grouping was around 1/2moa @200 yards. I have a few 265 LRXs around I wouldn't mind trying (no clean load data)... I also just bummed some 250 Grand Slams from a friend at work. Need to test the waters with those soon.

Cool,

Glad to know I'm not the only guy out there. Mine is not a true long range gun either...my part spec as of now:

Montana 1999 long action---ultra mag box
26 inch proof sendero contour Carbon Fiber barrel 1-9.4 twist
Custom brake--I will make...
McMillian marksman stock-dipped Kuiu Vais
Going to set up with some type of a Bushnell LRHS---I have both magnifications--it will be a game time decision.

Ed

Since getting 250 Gamekings is like pulling teeth, I decided since IM not firing this weapon umpteen hundred shots a year, to try some Barnes 225 TTSXs. I need to get out this week sometime to test.... stuffed them with 78.5 RL19.. should net around 2950-3k.... should be fine for the rifles intended purpose..

I ended up settling on 75gr of H4831 behind the 265LRX. Running to fit in the mag box puts me .060" off the lands which worked out well accuracy wise. Shot a couple groups at 500 that were under 1/2 moa wide and nice a flat vertically- time to take it hunting. No chrony data- but drops put me right around 2760fps.
Once hunting season is over I have a few other bullets to try- 285eld, 225ttsx, and I ordered some 200gr cutting edge mth. Like to see what they can do - high BC for a 200gr.

Im sitting fairly close to that... 78 grains of RL19 with a 250 Grand Slam or a 250 GameKing.... 78.5 of RL19 with a 225 TTSSX.
I've tried the 285 ELD... couldn't get her past 2600.

I am surprised nobody is using RL33 for the 338, I thought this powder was created for the 338. I don't have a 33 Nosler, but do have a 28 Nosler and running RL33 provides the best performance so far. I do plan to have a 33 Nosler built in the future and I am curious how well you guys that have one like the cartridge. Is it as accurate as the other 338 cartridges out there? Thanks for any input you may provide.

I am surprised nobody is using RL33 for the 338, I thought this powder was created for the 338. I don't have a 33 Nosler, but do have a 28 Nosler and running RL33 provides the best performance so far. I do plan to have a 33 Nosler built in the future and I am curious how well you guys that have one like the cartridge. Is it as accurate as the other 338 cartridges out there? Thanks for any input you may provide.
Too slow for that case capacity/bore diameter... short of barely seating the bullets and having the throat very long.
RL33 was truly designed for the Lapua... and ive tried it in there. Retumbo/H1000 is better.

Im sitting fairly close to that... 78 grains of RL19 with a 250 Grand Slam or a 250 GameKing.... 78.5 of RL19 with a 225 TTSSX.
I've tried the 285 ELD... couldn't get her past 2600.
The bearing surface on those 285's is really long. The berger 300 has a shorter bearing length, I am pretty sure you could push the 300 hybrid faster than the 285 eld just due to that alone. I have a pile of the 300's under the bench, great in my edge but might be a bit heavy for the 33.

Have you guys played around with 300 grainers much. I have a 28" proof blank and a Sako AV that needs a new barrel. I am thinking about doing a 33 nosler because it will fit in the action a whole lot better with long bullets than the UM or lapua/Norma cartridges(3.62" mag length) I like running big bullets and was hoping to get a 300 gr over 2600. Any thoughts?

the 33 nos has the same issues as a 338 win with 300's and 285's... you won't get above 2600 with a 285 and likely won't even get there at all with a 300... JOKOSTEL (my brother) has worked with his 33 nos a bunch and he's settled on 250's with it... He was running heavier with his Lapua, but I haven't talked to him in a while on that one...

the 33 nos has the same issues as a 338 win with 300's and 285's... you won't get above 2600 with a 285 and likely won't even get there at all with a 300... JOKOSTEL (my brother) has worked with his 33 nos a bunch and he's settled on 250's with it... He was running heavier with his Lapua, but I haven't talked to him in a while on that one...

Now that I have had time to work with my 33 for awhile, I also have settled on a 250 bullet. I have a custom gun made by Lane precision arms.. 27 inch barrel with break. Defiance action, Jewel, etc. I tried the heavier bullets and they shot well but did not carry the velocity I was wanting. In my opinion to get the most out of this caliber 225-250 is all you are going to do. I am shooting .25 moa at 200 with this rifle under 4831 sc and the 250 berger elite hunter 2800 fps. RL 26 was a little faster but less accurate and not as good es.
This rifle will be my Elk Hammer out to 1200. It was a great compromise for me because I have never wanted the weight or the kick of the bigger calibers. If a guy wants to throw a 300+ grain bullet you should definitely move up to 338 edge or other bigger calibers.
Many people will argue that the 33 Nosler wasn't even needed but, for me it fits my nitch. It is faster than the ole 338 win and the 250 retains some great nock down out to reasonable ranges for me to hunt. Is it the end all caliber ? Nope.. But it is working great for me and the animals it has stacked up are making me happy.

I have not got to play with mine as much as I have wanted. The 265 LRX seems to be all she wants with out infringing on the powder space. I need to get the "orange box" out to see how fast she will push them...will report back..the long of the short of it is if you want to shoot 300s fast...get a Lapua, Edge, or Norma...250, 265...the Nosler fills a nice niche...I attach some pics of the finished project...well still need to dip it...but thought it came out pretty nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Nice looking rig, Amigo! You should have a lot of fun tipping a few animals over with that thing. Without scope mine was 7.5..lb How much does your gun weigh with the proof barrel?