3006- re chamber ?????Your vote??

Dalebow

I have stainless 700 CDL, Fluted 3006 action, Brand new in box.
I just cant get excited or warm up to a 3006, I already admit it is the one round you can hunt anything with and it will out last all calibers..............now here is the question.............

What would you build, I was thinking 6.5-284 but I have a 6.5 creedmore although the 6.5 X 284 will handle 140 gr better. I thought about a 280 AI or maybe even 2506 but I want your vote. I want something I dont have, I dont handload yet so keep it something that either Barnes, Nosler, Federal loads for..........

Calibers I already own are:

300wsm X6 (McWhorter, MG Arms, New Mod 70 X 2, Rem X 2)
270 Win X 2 (Cooper westerner, New Mod 70)
6.5 Creedmore X 1 (Cooper Exclibur)
243 Win X 1 (Marlin X7)
7mm-08 X1 (browning X-bolt)
300 mag blaser (Blaser R8)
257 Weatherby (Mark V Deluxe, Rem 700 Custom)
257 Roberts (browning BLR)

Future hunts booked mule deer, antelope, mtn goat, bear, Elk. SO it can be for any type of game, so as you see I really have things covered so lets play??????

Tell me what caliber, why, and what it is best for:)

Last edited:
6.5x55 Swede, It's been around for over 100 years, and in a long action with modern pressures is still tough to beat. The other
6.5's have to play catch up in ballistics or barrel life and case life.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the only "normal" caliber that you don't already have is something in the .338 range. Any .338's out there that are factory chamberings that will also fit the action length?

Nosler, Double Tap, Barnes, Federal all load for just about any caliber other than extreme wildcats.

the 6.5 X 55 does intrigue me, in a long action 700 would factory ammo be long enough to be accurate or would I need to seat the bullet out?? Just not sure if 6.5 X ff are the 06 length.

Why not sell the gun and by some reloading equipment? It seems you have most calibers covered. Reloading opens up a whole new world.. Just an option

Nosler, Double Tap, Barnes, Federal all load for just about any caliber other than extreme wildcats.

the 6.5 X 55 does intrigue me, in a long action 700 would factory ammo be long enough to be accurate or would I need to seat the bullet out?? Just not sure if 6.5 X ff are the 06 length.

That will depend on your chamber, not the action.

looks like you have a good slection of calibers allready, why not a 220 swift????. my rifle has taken 3 deer this year so far and several crows. i perfer the crows... longest shot on a crow 284 yards. longest on a deer was a 8 point at 200 yards with a solid neck shot. all three were neck shots and all dropped dead right there......i have an old belgium 98 that is a 30-06 and i am going to make it into another 220 swift... i use the nosler 40 gr or the sierra 52 gr match hollow point... i have used the 52 gr for over 25 years and it has yet to fail......220-223-222-22-250..... just food for thought.... enjoy and think about getting into reloading....Bear.lightbulb

Cant sell her, vowed to never sell a gun again, she is getting a make over, just wondering what caliber, I dont have time to reload right now, what precious time I have is for the range and hunting.

So keep em coming
so far
6.5 X47
6.5 X 284
6.5 X 55

35 Whelen

It will work good with your action, you already have a good selection of small caliber stuff, there is some decent factory ammo available for it, and it will kill a bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.