3006- re chamber ?????Your vote??

You already have so many rifles that will fill the same hunting nitch. The other two nitches that you can easily access by rechambering your rifle to something different is varmints or big game. Big game ammo will be more expensive to buy and u won't shoot it much do to cost of ammo and or recoil. A dedicated varmint rifle however is pretty cheap to buy for, very fun to shoot and to introduce others into the shooting sport with and fills its own hunting nitch. Since you have a long action to work with, I would go with a 220 Swift as another gentleman already stated. You would be more out to practice and shoot an inexpensive round that is accurate and fun to shoot. In turn that practice would make u an better shooter over all with all your fine rifles. That's my thoughts giving the stipulations.

I think a 220 Swift would be an awful choice. I don't think it will feed correctly without some work and may not feed well even after some work. I'm not sure why you would want a long action for one. Actually with all the 22 cal choices available, I'm not sure why you would even want a 220 Swift.

Why?

Sorry, but everybody needs a Mod. 94 30-30, A Mod. 700 30-06 and a .45

keep it as is

I think a 220 Swift would be an awful choice. I don't think it will feed correctly without some work and may not feed well even after some work. I'm not sure why you would want a long action for one. Actually with all the 22 cal choices available, I'm not sure why you would even want a 220 Swift.
The gun is going to the Smith. Do u not think a Smith can't fix it where the magazine will feed a swift round lol. The long action is what we have for our only choice. I chose the swift because its longer than the 22-250 and would fit the worked long action better. Then man is obviously going to have work done to it cause he is wanting to rechamber it. So y its at the gun Smith it would be very simple to work on the magazine.
So I guess ur fine with the other short cartridges that have been named other than the swift. Oh the other short cartrridges named fill the same nitch as the guns he already has.
What round do u think he should chamber it for since the question was asked.
Someone said a 338 Lapua. Didn't read any comment on that. Try feeding that in a standerd length magazine lol

338 something. Despite rem brass being crap.... and it is so sort carefully it is still capable of making very big bug-holes. gun):D

My next 2 barrels are going to be in 6.5x55 and 338-06. And I may do the AI on the 338-06. I think a couple manf still make 338-06 ammo so both of those should be doable for you.

The 6.5x55 is just about the perfect blend of performance and barrel life. It fits well on a long action so you can handle those long 130 and 140 grain bullets. For practice and anything mule deer or smaller this would be about the ultimate cartridge IMO.

The 338-06 is also about the perfect blend of performance and recoil management in a carry weight rifle. With 210-225 grain bullets it would topple anything on this continent out close to a half mile. Very accurate and very easy to develop loads for.

I understand the "never sell a gun" concept but another guy brought up a good point about selling this one and getting some reloading equipment. There is a whole new world of accuracy just waiting for you to explore!

You already have a good 6.5 and .257, so if I were you I would look into a 338-06 (or AI). Put a short 22" barrel and you have a lightweight easy handling rifle that can take **** near anything. That or a 6.5-280AI. I am in the same boat trying to figure out what to do with my 30-06 and I am torn between these two. Thats just me though and I don't have a 6.5 or a 338...

I'm buying a savage axis 25-06 gunna run a few rounds through it so I've got some brass and then build a 6.5-06....gunna let my dad shoot it once its built n might be turning his old 700 REM 30-06 into 6.5-06 as well....

Where do you buy 338-06 or 338-06AI ammo?

I know Nosler and Federal used to. Not sure anymore. There are a couple gun manf's, Savage as one, that supposedly are going to start making guns in 333-06 which in turn would alleviate this issue. But I am not sure of time frame.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts