300 WM for Buffalo?

KSB209

I know this isn't an elk post and there isn't a forum for Buffalo so I'm hoping some of you know a little bit about it.

There is a 50/50 chance I will be going on a Buffalo hunt in January. Is a 300wm enough gun for these animal? I don't know much about Buffalo other then it taste good.

If I use the 300wm any particular bullet? I'm in Ca so I have a lot of monos like Barnes and Nosler e-tips already. I don't reload so the Hammers are out for now. Would a bonded bullet like the partition or accubond be better suited for a large animal like a Buffalo?

I really don't want to buy a new rifle for this hunt but if I "need" one…..I guess we always "need" another new fancy rifle don't we

That will work just fine. My wife took a monster bison last year with her 300WSM, 168 TTSX. 168 yard shot, bullet went through the upper front leg, through the heart and whole body cavity, and got stuck under the skin on the far side of the other leg. Bullet placement is everything. And yes, it has been delicious!

Good Luck!

This would be my recommendation and they are available at Midway.....
Screenshot_20221012-151417_Samsung Internet.jpg

Put any controlled expansion hunting bullet of 180-220 grains thru both lungs and you'll be breaking your back hauling a lot of meat out shortly thereafter.

To satiate your curiosity and quell any doubts, compare the energy levels of a patched 54 caliber round ball to your selected factory ammo. You'll be quite pleased to see the results.

You are talking bison and not buffalo, correct? For Buffalo, the conversation starts at .375 and goes up from there. For bison, the 300 WM with Barnes TSX or TTSX will be perfect. ;)

I know this isn't an elk post and there isn't a forum for Buffalo so I'm hoping some of you know a little bit about it.

There is a 50/50 chance I will be going on a Buffalo hunt in January. Is a 300wm enough gun for these animal? I don't know much about Buffalo other then it taste good.

If I use the 300wm any particular bullet? I'm in Ca so I have a lot of monos like Barnes and Nosler e-tips already. I don't reload so the Hammers are out for now. Would a bonded bullet like the partition or accubond be better suited for a large animal like a Buffalo?

I really don't want to buy a new rifle for this hunt but if I "need" one…..I guess we always "need" another new fancy rifle don't we
I have 300WM as my go to gun in Africa. I like Swift A-frame bullets for big game. I have used the 180 gr Swift to take game up to a 1700# Eland. Although not "legal" many PHs there allow clients to kill Cape buffalo with that caliber. Yes it's enough rifle with proper bullet placement. The thing about the A-frame is that most of the energy is expended in the animal, and I've recovered many bullets from the off shoulder, just under the skin and flattened to almost a quarter sized flattened bullet. One shot kills routinely. Good luck!

I've shot 3 bison. One bull and two cows all with a bow. Went along on a hunt with someone who had a 300 Win Mag and Nosler partitions. I don't know the weight.

What was fascinating to me was one that was hit with the rifle took three shots like it was a fly on the hide. The ones shot with a bow took one arrow walked in circles and tipped over or laid down and died.

So the 300 win will do the job. I was also given a bison anatomy lesson before I hunted. It helped a lot on shot placement. You can probably google this now.

Best of luck!