300 Winnie vs 300 lb pooh

It's enough for a big brown bear. It's vastly more than enough for a modest size black bear. Bear is no harder to kill than a deer as a matter of toughness. Heck, my uncles and I have taken literal truck loads of BIG blackies with mostly .30-30's. People have trouble killing bears effectively because it's hard to exactly determine where the pumping station is with all that thick fur, not because it's a tough animal. A lot of people, in my experience, simply miss the heart and end up chasing a bear that takes a while to die which is a potentially terrifying situation to find yourself in. Study bear anatomy, then take the shot with high confidence that it'll die fast.

If your hurting for $$$ Walmart has Remington 180 Corelok's cheap . They seem to work just fine on Bears !

If you were closer my 338 Edge and 300 gr.bergers did a Sweet job on my Montana Spring Bear !
Bang ..flop

Rum Man

Is the 180 SST enough for smaller black bear? We have one being a nuisance, tearing down bee stands and tearing up apple trees. I have a box of the Remington 180 Accutip (sst) at the moment. Want to make sure it will be ethical. We have a kill permit for nuisance animals.
the 180 accubond is plenty for black bear ! ive killed blacks with 165 grain in the past

Just about anything out of a 300 WM is going to be very effective on a black bear. That 180 will rock em!

I would beg to differ. I know a guy that shot a bear from 25 ft. using a 300 Wby and the bullet never penetrated. Why? because he used the bullet outside its design range. Estimated velocity at impact was 3400 fps. The bullet was designed for impact velocity of less than 2900 fps.

I have shot SST bullets, but only at paper. They are just too fragile to depend on them to penetrate in the event of a slightly misplaced shot.

I would beg to differ. I know a guy that shot a bear from 25 ft. using a 300 Wby and the bullet never penetrated. Why? because he used the bullet outside its design range. Estimated velocity at impact was 3400 fps. The bullet was designed for impact velocity of less than 2900 fps.

I have shot SST bullets, but only at paper. They are just too fragile to depend on them to penetrate in the event of a slightly misplaced shot.

I found them fragile in the 264 and 7mm too.

I shot two fine black bears in British Columbia a few years back with my Steyr in 7 mm mag and with 168 grain bullets. Both were one shot kills. They are not hard targets and just hit where you aim. Bye bye bear.

I think some people think black bears are tough like browns or grizzlies. They are definitely not...They are easy to kill and any cup and core bullet will work...they have thin skin and I have never had a problem busting bones and hitting vitals. think massive coyote instead of small grizzly.

Is the 180 SST enough for smaller black bear? We have one being a nuisance, tearing down bee stands and tearing up apple trees. I have a box of the Remington 180 Accutip (sst) at the moment. Want to make sure it will be ethical. We have a kill permit for nuisance animals.

Your choice of bullets is fine. I have found, in 50 years of black bear hunting, shot placement is everything. I've killed them with a 22 long rifle, but that involved problem bears which had been snared. My favorite combo right now is my .280 with a Barnes bullet. I wait until I can get a double shoulder shot and they are dead where they are standing. A shot through the lungs is a sure killer, but take into consideration the area you are hunting. Is it going to be easy to track a bear? They are like a self sealing gas tank. As long as your bear has been eating natural food, not trash, he should be really good eating. Best of luck, DCAN

The SST is a good bullet. I shoot 123 grain SSTs out of my 6.5 X 47. I shot a black bear that size with a 165 grain Fail-safe Winchester factory load out of an '06 and dispatched him quite efficiently. He was reincarnated as a rug. Like others have said you'll get more than enough "oomph" out of the 180.

I think some people think black bears are tough like browns or grizzlies. They are definitely not...They are easy to kill and any cup and core bullet will work...they have thin skin and I have never had a problem busting bones and hitting vitals. think massive coyote instead of small grizzly.
Great analogy!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts