300 Winnie vs 300 lb pooh

Overkill338

Is the 180 SST enough for smaller black bear? We have one being a nuisance, tearing down bee stands and tearing up apple trees. I have a box of the Remington 180 Accutip (sst) at the moment. Want to make sure it will be ethical. We have a kill permit for nuisance animals.

Here is a picture a neighbor took.

facebook_1561243268049_265434041068358.jpg

I'm with you. You don't want to kill it if there were another option. It would be nice if it would find another food source. But once they find a food source, they aren't going to abandon it. Even when fish and game catches a bear and moves it a 100 miles away, some make their way back anyway. Crazy. Saw/heard about it often when living in CO.

The SST is basically an 'interlock' bullet with a fancy plastic tip. I wouldn't use it on a grizzly or polar bear, but it will be very effective on that black bear. Best of luck. I wish there were other, effective options for you, but that's not likely now that it has found the honey.

Just an FYI, the SST is not a 'break the shoulder' bone type of bullet. You want to put it in the chest (heart/lung area), like shooting a deer or elk. The SST is not bonded. It will hold together pretty well ('interlock' grips the lead) but isn't really meant to plow through tons of bone.
When I was loading them in my 264, they did act fragile. Accurate, but very fragile. Like a BT Nosler.

Yes! Like a boat-tail Nosler. Very effective on deer/black bear size game, but not a known 'bone buster' and not something to use when a lot of penetration is needed (big bears or moose/elk.) I actually think it will be a very effective, quick kill with a chest shot as the heart and lungs will be rapidly and heavily damaged. If you MUST do it, you want the end to be fast. The SST will get it done.

Last edited:
Yes! Like a boat-tail Nosler. Very effective on deer/black bear size game, but not a known 'bone buster' and not something to use when a lot of penetration is needed (big bears or moose/elk.) I actually think it will be a very effective, quick kill with a chest shot as the heart and lungs will be rapidly and heavily damaged. If you MUST do it, you want the end to be fast. The SST will get it done.

Ive actually considered the 220 Round Nose Interlock loaded to about 2500-2600 fps in my 300 Winnie Wouldn't that be ideal for 150 yards and under shots with thick brush around here? For the Blanco hineys and the sticky finger bears? I've never used the round nose, but here around my house, 100 yard and under shots are normal.

Is the 180 SST enough for smaller black bear? We have one being a nuisance, tearing down bee stands and tearing up apple trees. I have a box of the Remington 180 Accutip (sst) at the moment. Want to make sure it will be ethical. We have a kill permit for nuisance animals.
We've shot 2 bears with an 87gr SST out of of 243. Your 180 out of a 300 will rock him.

Ive actually considered the 220 Round Nose Interlock loaded to about 2500-2600 fps in my 300 Winnie Wouldn't that be ideal for 150 yards and under shots with thick brush around here? For the Blanco hineys and the sticky finger bears? I've never used the round nose, but here around my house, 100 yard and under shots are normal.
The 220 gr round nose interlock will work great, too. The round-nose bullets just seem to 'rock' game harder at impact, which has always intrigued me. That small amount of increase in frontal area does have an effect.

Either one will get the job done. I guess it's just up to you to decide which gives you the most confidence in your rifle. Since you know the range won't be long, perhaps the heavier round-nose gives you more peace of mind that it will hold together and penetrate better?

The 220 gr round nose interlock will work great, too. The round-nose bullets just seem to 'rock' game harder at impact, which has always intrigued me. That small amount of increase in frontal area does have an effect.

Either one will get the job done. I guess it's just up to you to decide which gives you the most confidence in your rifle. Since you know the range won't be long, perhaps the heavier round-nose gives you more peace of mind that it will hold together and penetrate better?
I was thinking 30-30 killed for years with flat or rounded bullets. If I load it down to 2500, should be a great woods gun, and my son won't mind shooting it.

When you read the Hornady manual it says that the SST uses the interlock with a polymer tip. Several years ago my Dad shot a cow elk at about 125-150 yards with a 180 grain SST and the results looked like a bad horror movie. Huge blood fan on the off side and she only went about ten yards before piling up.
Sorry to hear about the bear but agree with a prior poster. Once the bear finds a source of food not very much, if anything, can be done to dissuade it from coming back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts