300 Win Mag test

Smokin

Loading my first 300 WM loads for my Savage 110BA. H1000 and 208 Amax. I like to run OCW tests for my 308, but I seem to have a wider range to choose from for the 300wm. I wanna start at 74.4 and work up to 76.8 in .3 increments. That's a lot of shooting. Should I try a ladder test, and at 200 or 300 yds? Also, could I load a few more on the top end? Thanks for any help.

You may want to revise your test a bit. If you follow Dan Newberry's instructions, the minimum step in loads is 0.7%. For the load range you indicated, that would result in 0.5 gr steps rather than the 0.3 gr you plan to use. This would result in 6 loads to test rather than 9. I assume you are partly trying to keep the number of rounds to a minimum due to recoil. If it were me, I would shoot a round robin, rest a bit, then shoot the next round robin. The primary downside to using only a ladder test is that you only have to be off on 1 shot to nullify the test. If you want to test at increments less than 0.5 gr, I would first run the OCW test with 0.5 gr (or even 1.0%/0.8 gr) increments, then test around the indicated node(s) with smaller load increments.

Dennis

Thanks for the info. Not too worried about shot count for recoil. This thing is fun to shoot. I just wanna save a little on powder and barrel life.
I will shoot a round robin. I'm afraid to pass up a node at .5 gr increments , but I may have to.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.