300 Norma or 30 Nosler???

kgoltz

I would like some advise on the pros and cons of both the 300 Norma and the 30 Nosler.

I'm looking to build one of the two and am torn on which one. I want to shoot at minimum 210 Berger's but most likely the 215's or 230's. Any advise you guys have on both guns would be great!! In my research I think I'd rather run Norma brass over Nosler brass but I believe the 300 Norma burns more powder to achieve the same velocity. Any help would be appreciated!!

300 Norma would be the way to go on brass quality and performance on the 230 Bergers. You better plan on doing it off a aftermarket action (stiller, defiance etc) or else you'll be opening the feed lips on a 700 action and opening up the bolt face or buying a bolt that is and making the action work on feeding the fatter case. If you don't want to deal with all of that than I'd run a 30nosler

We just finished a 300 Norma imp for a customer. Not a big gain in capacity with the imp 40*, about 6-8g of powder. It is my new favorite cartridge. It is running 300rum vel with 10g less powder. We are planning to get reamers from 6.5mm through .375 on this same improved case. With the shorter case length this cartridge is very nice with the longer bullets. Our imp version looks like a wsm on steroids.

So given the choice you have I would pick the Norma.

Steve

If you want to gain more room in the case build the reamer off of the 338 Norma Mag case and improve it to 40 degrees and neck down to 30 Cal. Rocky is your design a straight wall Improved or do you have taper in the cartridge design?

Sandstrom, definately going with a custom action, thinking either defiance or lone peak and putting a 8.5 twist proof research on it!!

RockyMTN, where are you getting dies for the improver? No pressure issues with the extra 6-8 gr of powder??

We went with a min taper to ease ejection problems. This is not a big change from the parent case. We have been getting our reamers from JGS.

No pressure problems with this rifle at all. It is a Defiance action with Proof carbon wrapped barrel 28" 9.4" twist. We designed our 199g Hammer Hunter for this rifle. During load development we stopped at over 3250fps with still no pressure signs. Often they do not show up on a precision custom rifle. Figured we were there and did not go any higher.

I think this is the perfect size and shape in a carry weight rifle. Super excited to do more with the Norma case.

Steve

I been shooting 6 and 6.5 creeds for years and wanted to build a long range steel/hunting rifle.

After a couple years of watching friends building everything from 28 noslers to 338 lapua's, I decided on the 300NM.

I was wanting something i wouldnt have to be loading for and tuning all the time. When ABM introduced 300NM ammunition and after seeing how well it performed, my decision was made.

I gave ABM a call on recommended barrel twist. Their recommendation was a 10 twist so I ordered a 26'' Bartlien med palma in 1:10. My rifle grouping .4 at 1000 and .25 at 100 yards. Trued 1000 yard muzzle velocity running about 2940.

Todd Hodnett has a article on internet worth reading comparing 300WM, 300NM and a 338LM.

Sean

I would like some advise on the pros and cons of both the 300 Norma and the 30 Nosler.

I'm looking to build one of the two and am torn on which one. I want to shoot at minimum 210 Berger's but most likely the 215's or 230's. Any advise you guys have on both guns would be great!! In my research I think I'd rather run Norma brass over Nosler brass but I believe the 300 Norma burns more powder to achieve the same velocity. Any help would be appreciated!!

I've been going through the same debate for a while now and I'm fairly certain my next L/A build will be a 30 Nosler. But it is going to depend on your individual needs.

Just for comparison
30 nos running 215s@ 3050 in a 26in bbl
300 Norma running 230s@ 2950 in a 26in bbl
5mph wind from 3cl shows 3" difference in drift at 1500 yards favoring the Norma. Now real life results and comparisons maybe a little different but not by much.

So your really not gaing much until you start getting into ELR distances, but you will be losing around 250-500 rds of barrel life (just an estimate) from burning more powder with the norma. So if your not shooting past 1500 yards often or need the extra energy for big game hunting it kinda seems overkill, which is never a bad thing it just depends on your individual needs.

For me personally I have big 338s for ELR shooting so the 30 nos would be a better fit for my needs. I also like the idea of it having a little better bbl life and slightly less recoil but still has plenty of energy to drop big game out to 1000. Now if I didn't already have 338s I would be leaning towards the 300 norma.

The 300 Norma does burn more powder but not to achieve the same velocity as you stated. The 30 nos seems to be an efficient case and it will be close to the Norma but will not surpass it in performance without running the nos extremely hot.

As far as running Norma brass over Nosler. I've only run Norma not Nosler brass but as far as I know Nosler brass is made by Norma and they seem to be equal in consistency and strength from the shooters I have discussed it with that are running both.

I feel either way you will not be disappointed, both are great designs and it will be interesting to see how fast the Nos can push the 230s once more rifles are built in this chambering and tested.

Last edited:
If you want to gain more room in the case build the reamer off of the 338 Norma Mag case and improve it to 40 degrees and neck down to 30 Cal. Rocky is your design a straight wall Improved or do you have taper in the cartridge design?

So the 338 Norma has more case capacity than the 300?

If so how much?

Sandstrom, definately going with a custom action, thinking either defiance or lone peak and putting a 8.5 twist proof research on it!!

RockyMTN, where are you getting dies for the improver? No pressure issues with the extra 6-8 gr of powder??

I believe lone peak has created a action specificly for the 300 Norma as well after talking with John at red hawk rifles. Sounds like your on the right path. Post pics of the build when your done

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.