30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

I love Broughton barrels. I would look at reamer, neck clearance, chamber finish before I would suspect barrel being tight.

For me, I want to get a CA mpr and it is offered in 300 win and 300 Norma. The win has a 10 twist and the Norma has an 8. I prefer the 8 for my shooting conditions and bullet selection. I also want a .30 that can push a 215 Berger at over 3000fps and not be pushing hard to do it.

In Canada, lapua made norma brass is available and is half the price of 30N brass. So the Norma is a no brainer in my situation.

The only thing I am not sure of is the powder. I have plenty of N570 but I am thinking about trying to go with h1000. I know I will lose some velocity at the same pressure but I am thinking it is hard to beat the consistency of h1000 and I am a little concerned about reports that N570 is quite a bit harder on barrels that h1000.

For me, I want to get a CA mpr and it is offered in 300 win and 300 Norma. The win has a 10 twist and the Norma has an 8. I prefer the 8 for my shooting conditions and bullet selection. I also want a .30 that can push a 215 Berger at over 3000fps and not be pushing hard to do it.

In Canada, lapua made norma brass is available and is half the price of 30N brass. So the Norma is a no brainer in my situation.

The only thing I am not sure of is the powder. I have plenty of N570 but I am thinking about trying to go with h1000. I know I will lose some velocity at the same pressure but I am thinking it is hard to beat the consistency of h1000 and I am a little concerned about reports that N570 is quite a bit harder on barrels that h1000.
I'm leaning towards 300nm also & trying to get some feedback from folks who have run imr 8133 with 300nm in another thread that I just posted. I don't know for sure but 8133 looks as if it would have more potential than h1000 or retumbo in 300nm

I'm leaning towards 300nm also & trying to get some feedback from folks who have run imr 8133 with 300nm in another thread that I just posted. I don't know for sure but 8133 looks as if it would have more potential than h1000 or retumbo in 300nm
8133 looks to be promising in temp stability also from what I understand

I'm leaning towards 300 Norma & still thinking about 300 prc. What's the availability of differently configured reamers in 300 prc? If I go with a Hornady spec reamer ( which I'm guessing is likely to be what a factory chambered rifle would have), does that mean I'm going to have a big sloppy diametered chamber & will have 120 thou jump to the lands when my loaded cartridge is already 3.7" long and just barely fits In my magazine in the first place. I want it to fit in a factory 700 box mag with floorplate. I could get a Wyatt's but would rather not. Don' jump on my case please cause I don't know and is why I'm asking. What's my choice of reamers and how much jump am I looking at with a 225 eld loaded 3.7 or so long with that reamer.

I'm leaning towards 300 Norma & still thinking about 300 prc. What's the availability of differently configured reamers in 300 prc? If I go with a Hornady spec reamer ( which I'm guessing is likely to be what a factory chambered rifle would have), does that mean I'm going to have a big sloppy diametered chamber & will have 120 thou jump to the lands when my loaded cartridge is already 3.7" long and just barely fits In my magazine in the first place. I want it to fit in a factory 700 box mag with floorplate. I could get a Wyatt's but would rather not. Don' jump on my case please cause I don't know and is why I'm asking. What's my choice of reamers and how much jump am I looking at with a 225 eld loaded 3.7 or so long with that reamer.

Hornady spec'd the SAAMI chamber to be match. The throat diameter is .3085". It is also set up for Hornady's 212 and 225 bullets. I'm told they will mag feed. You may not need anything other than SAAMI reamer

Good call! Sure was. Not showing anything on the case head now although that doesn't appear to be related to my low velocity issue. Thanks for the idea.
Jesse
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the guys at the high velocities in Nosler brass are seeing pressure signs but they are running just below where they feel heavy bolt lift. You definitely see pressure signs when primer pockets are gone in 2-5 firings.

Frank Green and Dave Tooly are running the sammi spec reamer in the PRC. Frank has reported 230 sierrias @ an easy 2900 for his F class rig with 1/4moa vertical@ 1000. Same speeds for the 225. The short baring surface of the 215 should get you quite a bit of speed. I'd also look at the new 200SMK with a .715 G1 and .85 form factor it would be a javelin through the air.

Berger 300 Norma ammo is 2934 with the 230 Berger in a 26" barrel.
215's at 3017

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the guys at the high velocities in Nosler brass are seeing pressure signs but they are running just below where they feel heavy bolt lift. You definitely see pressure signs when primer pockets are gone in 2-5 firings.

With my experiences with Nosler brass in the past...case head and pockets are kinda weak. Bolt lift seems to be a good indicator of where you're at pressure wise.

Recent Posts