300 prc or 28 nosler

Sniper18

If you had to pick one for hunting out to 1000yards on whitetail and targets out to a mile what one would you choose?

Well since you mentioned Targets, the PRC, I have the 28 Nosler I would recommend it for strictly hunting since it is hard on Barrel's. If you are into wildcats, maybe look at the 300 Sherman Mag., you can fire form with the 300 PRC and reload with the 300 SM dies.

If you had to pick one for hunting out to 1000yards on whitetail and targets out to a mile what one would you choose?
A 300 RUM or one of the big RUM/Norma sized case 338's.

I love my STW's but you just have much better options for long range high BC bullets in the 300's and 338's.

If you're hard nailed and wired on the two you listed, the 300PRC would get my nod.

Nosler really screwed up pretty bad with their BC's, customer service etc when they rolled out the Nosler series of rounds and rifles and they just never caught on in a big way like the PRC's are doing. Hence in the future I would expect much better support for the PRC as far as factory ammo and aftermarket brass than you'll get with the Nosler in decades to come.

I haven't played with the 6.5 in awhile but I do have a 6.5 wsm. When It to comes to 7mms I have a good bit of those, 280 ackley, 284, 7mm-300 wsm. It's just time to build a new rifle and wanted to try out one of the newer caliber. Only reason I threw the 28 nosler in the mix is because it seems like I can find 28 nosler brass a little easier than what I can prc.

I haven't played with the 6.5 in awhile but I do have a 6.5 wsm. When It to comes to 7mms I have a good bit of those, 280 ackley, 284, 7mm-300 wsm. It's just time to build a new rifle and wanted to try out one of the newer caliber. Only reason I threw the 28 nosler in the mix is because it seems like I can find 28 nosler brass a little easier than what I can prc.
Well if you'r enot in a hury and have the thirties and 7mm's pretty well covered for now consider a 6.5-375 Rug or 6.5Rug-300PRC. I'm also going to one in 7 and another in 338 over the next year or so.

I'm running 140gr bullets at just north of 3,400fps over a fairly mild load of RL33 or H1000 and should be able to pick up as much as 300-400 FPS going "full size" so to speak over the 6.5 and 7LRMs.

The 30 cal version should be just neck in neck but behind by a nose with the 300 Rum with five or six grains less powder and still a bit ahead of the 300PRC which is a little more modified.

28 Nosler is fun, you can add some freebore to it and play with the 195gr. EOL, you can get those out to 3100FPS shoot 1200yards with a breeze. However, it goes back to the barrel, shooting it hard you can expect it to wear 1/8" of barrel per 100 rounds.

You can get best of both worlds if you use Custom Actions, you could go with a Terminus action with a switch barrel. The 28 and 300 PRC will use the same bottom metal, so, just switch barrels when you want one over the other.