3 lug vs 2 lug: GO!

2 lug or 3 lug bolt action

• Total voters

Calvin45

Whether factory or custom or some hybrid of the two like a generic factory rifle that's been customized, do the fine folks of LRH have a strong preference either way? I know the 3 lug actions boast shorter bolt lift…I've never had issues with a 2 lug either tho….

Just making conversation, not buying anything (at the moment 😁)

Most of us have one or two specific bolt rifles that are "our baby" haha….is your baby a 3 or a 2 lug? Pictures welcome! 😁

3 lugs or 2, which do you think is better and why? GO!!!!

I know a three lug has a shorter bolt throw, but all my rifles are two lug
IMG_5761.png

I know a three lug has a shorter bolt throw, but all my rifles are two lugView attachment 543295
Mine as well…I feel like I'm missing something! 🤣

That's quite the rig…I assume that rifle is used for all kinds of applications? Otherwise I'd have to respectfully ask….what's with the great big nightforce on a tree stand hunting brush gun!!!!???? 😁

Mine as well…I feel like I'm missing something! 🤣

That's quite the rig…I assume that rifle is used for all kinds of applications? Otherwise I'd have to respectfully ask….what's with the great big nightforce on a tree stand hunting brush gun!!!!???? 😁
You know when you try to bridge a gap and build a rifle that functions as a target rifle and a Long Range Hunting rifle that's what you end up with. I rarely hunt from a tree stand all this long range, equipment and practice. My biggest buck was taken at 20 yards from that stand.

You know when you try to bridge a gap and build a rifle that functions as a target rifle and a Long Range Hunting rifle that's what you end up with. I rarely hunt from a tree stand all this long range, equipment and practice. My biggest buck was taken at 20 yards from that stand.
Awesome. That's how that goes haha, I worked up a 225 eld m load in my 300 win mag that could take game as far away as I could hit, and further. Longest shot I've had to make with that load is 350 - ish yards, and most much closer haha. I love all this stuff and tinkering we can do with load perfection and accurizing and optics and bla bla bla but if I'm telling the truth I've never taken game under circumstances that couldn't have been handled with the borrowed rem 760 pump 30-06, topped with a tasco i believe, that I got my first deer with. Oh, and the Winchester super x power point would work fine in all those haha.

The 2 lug works for me. Easier to lap a 2 lug than a 3 lug. The Weatherby ones are a nightmare to lap properly, at least for me. But I must admit the short bolt lift is nice, especially for scope clearance JMO

I prefer the shorter bolt lift, so 3-lug for me.
Yup,.. OR,. the TIKKA, 2 Lug action with, it's Lower, smooth, Bolt Lift.
Good, Rem 700 actions, tho "accurate" ,.. ARE,.. thumb Busters unless, Extended Knob's, are used !
My Next bolt action will probably be,.. a Terminus Zeus.
My Older "Customs" were all on, Weatherby 9 Lug, German, MK-V's and,.. were SWEET !
Plus, Smooth and FAST on, follow up, shots !

Last edited: