28 nosler preformance with saami spec chamber

I have only(and will only) tried the 180 ELDMs in my 28. My accuracy load is running 3115 in a 26" barrel with H1000. I am still getting it dialed in but it looks like a bc of .750 G1 will make the drops correct in a 9 twist barrel. My 7-300 pushes the hybrid 3165. The two bullets impact at the same elevation with the same dial. The 7-300 barrel is 2" longer and the Hybrid has less bearing surface so it most likely will consistently be capable of more speed. I think the ELDM is going to be a winner. I should be testing it out on pronghorn next month. It will take me more time and testing but I feel like the extra speed the hybrid will most likely get will make up for the lower bc for elevation but I think the ELDM will win in the wind. Either way I am not sure It will be enough to really matter. Barrel life is too short in the 28 for me to be testing multiple bullets the way they really need to be tested.
Thanks for the info and I hear ya on the barrel life. That's why I am hoping to nail a good bullet, powder combo first crack and stick with it.
Is h1000 the only powder you tried in the 28?

Unfortunately I wasted some barrel life and time starting with Retumbo it did not look promising so I switched and instantly found a good load. Retumbo is working great in my 30 Nosler but not the 28. I would stick with H1000. I have a Fierce CT Edge in 30 Nosler on the way and intend to try N570 in it.

I am tossing the idea around of trying the 180eldm with n570 may be a good combo as well.

I think N570 with 180s would be a great start. If you want safe I would stay with H1000. Work up. You will probably find the node around 79 grains. I started at the lands and found the sweet spot .020 off. The throat is really a little short for the 180 ELDMs but they work. I would say the throat is really more suited for the Hybrid.

The hybrid is the other bullet I was considering. With the eldm seating deep I might give the hybrid a second look. Thanks again for the info

Here is a link to some 28 Nosler loads. Good load data for info.

Unless you are running a Nosler rifle or some other handicapped rifle those loads will be far short of the bullets touching the lands. The OP will be running a 700 which has plenty of room to touch the lands and still fit the mag box. OAL should be around 3.610 with 180 ELDMs.

I think N570 with 180s would be a great start. If you want safe I would stay with H1000. Work up. You will probably find the node around 79 grains. I started at the lands and found the sweet spot .020 off. The throat is really a little short for the 180 ELDMs but they work. I would say the throat is really more suited for the Hybrid.
rfurman have you done much shooting with your 28 nosler in the ridgeline? I was wondering if you are still running the same load and how it is performing for you. Also wondering if you have any data on the 180 eldm's as far as BC numbers or terminal performance?

No new data. I ended up shooting my Pronghorn and Elk with 30 Noslers.
Thanks for the reply. I tried n570 and was producing some really good groups at 83g and 3200fps, from jammed to .010 jump but just would not remain repeatable and seemed to have an erratic zero.

Where did you see pressure in your rifle with H1000?

Thanks for the reply. I tried n570 and was producing some really good groups at 83g and 3200fps, from jammed to .010 jump but just would not remain repeatable and seemed to have an erratic zero.

Where did you see pressure in your rifle with H1000?

I found 180 hybrids and 80 grs of H1000 max in my rifle. 26" barrel speed was 3015avg

That is crazy slow. What seating depth? What rifle? I saw pressure around 82.5-83 grains(far above accuracy).
Was 82.5-83 where you could feel it in the bolt lift? I was seeing shiny ejector marks at 84g of n570.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.