28 Gauge Choice

quigley257

Greetings. I grew up shooting a 28 gauge single shot and have always had a soft spot for that oddball shell. I'm considering getting an inexpensive 28 gauge for doves and grouse. I have handled the Stevens 555E and like the way it fits and feels. I really like how the 555s are scaled to each gauge, not just a 12ga frame with smaller barrels. I have read some complaints on the 55s trigger being unreasonably heavy and wonder if that was improved in the E model at all. The CZ Drake is another contender in the same price point arena. It just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 555 in my eyes. Looking for input from anyone who has had experience with either of these guns in a 28 gauge. Thanks in advance. -Quigley

Stevens 555E - https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22592

CZ Drake - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/

Greetings. I grew up shooting a 28 gauge single shot and have always had a soft spot for that oddball shell. I'm considering getting an inexpensive 28 gauge for doves and grouse. I have handled the Stevens 555E and like the way it fits and feels. I really like how the 555s are scaled to each gauge, not just a 12ga frame with smaller barrels. I have read some complaints on the 55s trigger being unreasonably heavy and wonder if that was improved in the E model at all. The CZ Drake is another contender in the same price point arena. It just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 555 in my eyes. Looking for input from anyone who has had experience with either of these guns in a 28 gauge. Thanks in advance. -Quigley

Stevens 555E - https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22592

CZ Drake - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/.
Sorry off topic of the 28 gauge.
Take a look at a .410 Auto I always wanted one but years ago they were not many .410 Autos with chokes. Rem 1100 Rib Barrel with chokes. I am currently selling rather than buying shotguns. You can shoot everything from Doves, Quail to Pheasants with a .410 and the right loads!
Plus you can find shells for the .410

I plan on loading for the 28 so not an issue there. 410 is a bit on the light side of the payload category and the heavy side of cost per shell. I suppose I could load 410 as well as 28ga, but the 28 seems more versatile. I have used a 12ga for everything since I outgrew the 28ga single shot of my childhood. I've been shooting a Special Field 870 since 1986 and finally treated myself to an autoloader for this years bird season(why did I wait SO many years?...). I picked up a Girsan MC312, which is a Benelli inertia-drive clone. Very inexpensive, and runs like a top with everything from 7/8oz field loads through 3.5" turkey magnums. I've been extremely pleased with how well I've shot with it since dove opener Sept 1st. I've thought about a new 28 ever since I saw the new 555 when it first hit the shelves a few years back.

I have a buddy who SLAYS in the dove fields with his 28ga O/U. Unreal.

I have a 20ga CZ Redhead Deluxe that is a GREAT O/U. Under $1k, and is smooth and looks great. A bit heavy, even heavier than my Win 101 Select. But balanced amd swings nice.

I plan on loading for the 28 so not an issue there. 410 is a bit on the light side of the payload category and the heavy side of cost per shell. I suppose I could load 410 as well as 28ga, but the 28 seems more versatile. I have used a 12ga for everything since I outgrew the 28ga single shot of my childhood. I've been shooting a Special Field 870 since 1986 and finally treated myself to an autoloader for this years bird season(why did I wait SO many years?...). I picked up a Girsan MC312, which is a Benelli inertia-drive clone. Very inexpensive, and runs like a top with everything from 7/8oz field loads through 3.5" turkey magnums. I've been extremely pleased with how well I've shot with it since dove opener Sept 1st. I've thought about a new 28 ever since I saw the new 555 when it first hit the shelves a few years back.
Never shot a 28 gauge, but sounds good for between the 20 and .410. Girsan make great firearms and inexpensive. We have had sever Girsan 1911s and they are unbelievable for the price and quality.
Good luck and would be interested in a 28 auto loader!

CZ Drake - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/
I hope you reload !! It's hard to find 28GA in Florida LOL

I hope you reload !! It's hard to find 28GA in Florida LOL
The reason that I stepped up to 20ga. I recently moved to Florida and finding that hunting in Florida difficult to figure out. I cannot afford to go and hire a guided hog or Turkey hunt. I have no interest in deer or bear hunting. Upland game birds I would love to t find places to hunt.

Back to the OP, Single shot 28ga was what I grew up with. Miss that shotgun and have never purchased another 28 due to limited ammo availability and cost compared to light 20ga upland loads. I have always reloaded for 12 and 20 gauge other than 12ga Heavy Turkey loads. I am from grouse and woodcock country and the 28ga was a favorite by many of my fellow upland hunters over pointing dogs.

I would stick to the Cz or if you pay a little more the Franchi, haven't got to shoot the Franchi but was able to swing and fell out in the store.

I owned the Stevens 555e, it was ok but it definitely felt cheap. I didn't gauge the trigger but it felt like 10 pounds, I ended up selling it after a year. I very well could have gotten a bad example.

The reason that I stepped up to 20ga. I recently moved to Florida and finding that hunting in Florida difficult to figure out. I cannot afford to go and hire a guided hog or Turkey hunt. I have no interest in deer or bear hunting. Upland game birds I would love to t find places to hunt.

Back to the OP, Single shot 28ga was what I grew up with. Miss that shotgun and have never purchased another 28 due to limited ammo availability and cost compared to light 20ga upland loads. I have always reloaded for 12 and 20 gauge other than 12ga Heavy Turkey loads. I am from grouse and woodcock country and the 28ga was a favorite by many of my fellow upland hunters over pointing dogs.
Where you move to? I'm in Florida to.

If you are not reloading as some others have mentioned I would not rule out autoloaders and Franchi has some good stuff in the market now. In my experience grouse are usually point and shoot often going away, doves more crossing, not absolutes just trends. For the same reason skeet shooters use very heavy guns sometimes a little more weight helps for crossing shots, always balanced in front of the hinge pin. Scaled 28 OU will overall be light but at least balance better than the large frame ones that balance behind the hinge pin.

Added bonus of some autoloaders is ability to shim stock for best fit. You can do it to OU but not many people have the ability and very expensive.

JB