270 Win for Elk using 130 SST/130 Accubond/130NP

Put a brake on the 300, stay below 180 gr. bullets, and limit your shots to 300 yds. and you'll B fine.

I have shoulder issues and I'm reluctant to use my 300 WM for Elk. I have a Kimber 270 Win and have a pretty good load using 130 NP (3078 FPS) and I realize shot placement is EVERYTHING.... However looking for advice which would be a better bullet 130 Nosler Accubond or 130 Hornady SST for Elk or do I stick it out the 130 Nosler Partition? Thanks for any feedback

Partition all day long.

My experience with Accubonds have been slow deats with well placed shots. Partitions through the shoulder have been deadly.

bullet placement: the name of the game. I favor the Nosler & have used there partitions on many a different caliber and game from deer to elk, moose, sheep, . Just put it where it needs to go each and every time. The 270 with the 130 gr would be my choice , only use 130 gr for the 270's. Who was that great writer that swore about the 270 ???? for ant game animal in North America ???

bullet placement: the name of the game. I favor the Nosler & have used there partitions on many a different caliber and game from deer to elk, moose, sheep, . Just put it where it needs to go each and every time. The 270 with the 130 gr would be my choice , only use 130 gr for the 270's. Who was that great writer that swore about the 270 ???? for ant game animal in North America ???
If memory serves Mr. Jack O'Conner 😁😁😁

I would shoot the partition. Accubond will work too but I prefer partitions. Especially if you already have a load for it. No need to change anything. I would definitely not use the SST they are just too inconsistent in performance. I shot a mule deer buck at about 60 yards one year with a 140 SST from a .270 win 3050 FPS and it made a grapefruit size hole in the shoulder and only bone shrapnel went into the vitals. I then took a cow elk later the same year from 80 yards and the same SST went through both shoulders and dropped her on the spot with a perfect 1 inch exit hole coming out. Since then I will only shoot partitions and accubonds.

I have shoulder issues and I'm reluctant to use my 300 WM for Elk. I have a Kimber 270 Win and have a pretty good load using 130 NP (3078 FPS) and I realize shot placement is EVERYTHING.... However looking for advice which would be a better bullet 130 Nosler Accubond or 130 Hornady SST for Elk or do I stick it out the 130 Nosler Partition? Thanks for any feedback
I have a few recommendations. First of all I am partial to Nosler Partitions but the Hornady is also a good choice when dealing with the .270. Before limiting yourself to the 270 over the 300 WM consider having a good muzzle brake installed on the 300 WM. My Browning AB3 in 300 WM has a custom muzzle brake on it installed by Louis at Americas Gunsmiths in Kenosha Wisconsin. The recoil from the 300 is reduced to that of a .243. My girlfriend who is 5' 4" and 130 pounds prefers the 300 to my 270. Either the 270 or the 300 WM will do the trick, the trick is making the right choice and doing what is best for you.

I load a 130 gr. Speer STBT ahead of a maximum load of IMR 4350 in a .270 Win. for both one of my sons and myself and that load has no trouble anchoring elk here in N. Idaho, I load a similar load with a 130 gr. Winchester SP for one of my daughters in law and she anchored her moose with it. I am not familiar with the Accubond or the SST but I know the Hornady Interlock works quite well also.

Good loads there Thomas

Side note, I've been around more elk killed via the 270 and 130 Sierra BT than any other bullet. From close range to 650 yards they pretty much just fold up. The 650 yarder took 3 steps and pitched over

I have a few recommendations. First of all I am partial to Nosler Partitions but the Hornady is also a good choice when dealing with the .270. Before limiting yourself to the 270 over the 300 WM consider having a good muzzle brake installed on the 300 WM. My Browning AB3 in 300 WM has a custom muzzle brake on it installed by Louis at Americas Gunsmiths in Kenosha Wisconsin. The recoil from the 300 is reduced to that of a .243. My girlfriend who is 5' 4" and 130 pounds prefers the 300 to my 270. Either the 270 or the 300 WM will do the trick, the trick is making the right choice and doing what is best for you.
The biggest difference is the weight my Kimber 270 loaded up is about 8 Lbs and my Ruger M77 is about 12 Lbs loaded up and so along with that i also like to hike up down the mountain sides looking for Elk. I agree with the NP I have been shooting NP basicly my entire life and have taken many Big game with the Nosler Partitions. I have also started looking at muzzle break for my Ruger unfortunately it has Iron sights on it and really do not want anyone cutting on my baby LOL... thanks for the advice

I load a 130 gr. Speer STBT ahead of a maximum load of IMR 4350 in a .270 Win. for both one of my sons and myself and that load has no trouble anchoring elk here in N. Idaho, I load a similar load with a 130 gr. Winchester SP for one of my daughters in law and she anchored her moose with it. I am not familiar with the Accubond or the SST but I know the Hornady Interlock works quite well also.
If you don't mind me asking what is your max load right now i have a load of 55/IMR 4350/130 NP/3078 FPS with 3.23 COL. I just loaded up 5 rounds of 130NP/57Grns/H4831 with 3.30 COL just to see what happpens...