270 for elk?

Airborne1

I purchased a Savage Edge in 270 caliber for antelope and mule deer, can I use this to hunt elk too??

Yes you can, know your limitations and your fine. Will you be reloading? If not the 140 grain nosler accubond would be a good round, or even 150 grain partition if shots aren't too far. My dad has used nothing bigger then a 270. Win and he is an avid moose hunter, caribou hunter and recently got into elk hunting.

My wife took her first elk year before last with a 270 using 150 win factory ammo, one shot 392yards. Just need three things 1: Shot placement 2: Shot placement 3: Shot placement.

Use as heavy of a bullet as you can. I would say 150+ Partitions, accubonds, E tips, GMX, Barnes TSX and TTSX all good bullets, just remember weight is your friend

I have been hunting with a .270 Remington BDL for 30 years. I have shot many elk with my rifle. I have never had an elk go more than ten steps. I have been shooting 130 grain Barnes TTSX for the last five years. Deadly bullets. A .270 is all the gun you will need for elk, assuming you can shoot it accurately. FYI, 400 yards is the longest shot I have taken at an Elk with this gun.

I'm headed to Wyoming this September for the first time to hunt pronghorn. Being from Illinois I have never needed a rifle so I began looking for one last August. After many months of research I chose the 270 because I plan on hunting muledeer and elk in the near future and wanted something I could use for all 3 species; pronghorn, muledeer and elk. Sounds like a made the right choice, thanks for your input.

You'll be in great shape with the 270. Took my largest bull with the 270WSM and 140 AB's. Just like the others said, if you shoot it well, it won't leave you without elk meat. It is perfect for muley and antelope. Good luck buddy! How are you planning to set it up?

I wonder what Jack would say? I use a 25 caliber and kill elk every year. The .270 will have NO problem. Good Luck!

seriously anything from a 243 up, in the boiler room will kill the elk, Ive made bad shots with 300 and 338 win mag and yes it helps to have a huge bomb hitting them but they are no magic pill, a 308, 7mm08, 2506, 257 weatherby, roberts, 270, 270wsm, 3006 on up will kill em dead if the bullet hits the heart or both lung, take your time, pass on bad angles and out to 400 yards you will kill em, past 400 yards I would want my 300 rum, 338, 7mm mag long range set up.

No matter what you shoot with the shot placement is key. Gut shoot an elk with a 338 win. and it will still run off. Jack OConner made the 270 win. famous killing mulies and elk with his 270. Plenty of rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.