25 yard shooting

lorvan

I returned yesterday from an istruction course in Svitzerland of long distance shooting.
We have spent all a morning shooting at 25 meters in a small triangle. The instructor says that if aiming at the base of the triangle and the holes are an inch under the triangle the rifle is zeroed at 100 meters. ( and it is almost true !!)
Someone of you use this system for verify if the optic is good zeroed?

Lorenzo

The problem with shooting at only 25 meters to check a zero is that if you are off by only .25 inches, this will lead to be off a whole buch at a few hundred yards. I shoot at 100 or 200 yards to check my zero and I would shoot farther if the range I usually go to would allow it.

Nothing can substitute shooting at the intended distance.

However, if you bear in mind that the bullet is going to travel at a similar height say at 35 m. (way up) as it will do at 200 (way down) it has been common, short of a proper range to shoot, to zero at 25 for 100, or 35 for 200. But I would consider this only an approximation , good for general hunting but I would not trust this for shooting animals at LR over 350 m.

lorvan; Someone of you use this system for verify if the optic is good zeroed?

have never heard of anyone using this to determine a zero. could you tell us what kind of groups everyone was shooting at 25 meters? would also like to hear about what the rest of the instructions the course has.

Alg, if you zero at 25 for 100, zeroing at 35 won't have you on at 200. your zero will be less than 100.

At the beginning of the course, we spent two hours lying in the rain to shoot at 25 yards. The target was a triangle, with its low between three dot of a mil-dot reticje with the cross at the middle of the basen pf the triangle.
At first my gun zeroed at 200 meters shooted exactly where aimed.
After the shots were going in a small square of about 1 cm for side (if you want I may send you the picture) placed at about 1 inch below the triangle.
Then we went to shoot at 600 yards to mobile shilouettes. ( i do not remember well, but the 600 yards zero was about 12 moa over the 25 yards one ).
The instructor sayd that we alway may find a range of 25 yards for test the rifle.
one of the exercises: 5 rapid shots to 5 shilouettes indicated by the instructor aiming to the body in the fist string and aiming to the head after.
The instructor says that those who shoot fast shoot better and the shot must be between 5 and 20 seconds after the aquisition of the target. If it is true.. i do not know
:) but I obtained the best group shoting faster than I am usual ( ten shots that I may cover with the palm of my hand ).
I used an old rebuild heavy barrel 30.06 mauser action with a nightforce scope. They used stayer caliber 7.5 Swiss.

Lorenzo

[

Alg, if you zero at 25 for 100, zeroing at 35 won't have you on at 200. your zero will be less than 100.[/quote]

Dave ..thanks for the correction... that´s why I dont use this system :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.