.22-250 Enough For Wolves?

Are taxidermist taking wolves in the round or are the wanting finished product ( skinned stretched etc..) if in the round what can one expect $ amount as long they have good color and no major holes?

Shoot what ever you can shoot well. But remember that little guns have very little energy. I am a serious wolf hunter and trapper. My wolf gun is a 338 Lapua mag. Plus I always carry my 44 mag. Getting a clean standing shot under 200 yards is not the norm. More like 500 to a 1000 yards across a canyon.

Shoot what ever you can shoot well. But remember that little guns have very little energy. I am a serious wolf hunter and trapper. My wolf gun is a 338 Lapua mag. Plus I always carry my 44 mag. Getting a clean standing shot under 200 yards is not the norm. More like 500 to a 1000 yards across a canyon.

I am in no way insulting your knowledge of killing wolves, but how hard can they be to kill? A 75-100 pound dog 6"-8" thick does not take much to kill in my limited knowledge. I just hate sewing hides! A dead wolf makes me happy, post some pictures of some 338 Lapua holes!
I do pack a 300rum on my pack horse for wolves past 700 yards, but I have not needed it.
With trapping do you have better luck with bait hole, or scent post sets for wolves?

Thanks for the replies. Picked up a nice .243 Sako with a 24" barrel and a long-enough action to maybe convert to 6SLR later; cost of it was no more than re-barreling when including price of old gun. Just feel better with the extra ft. lbs., as stated above; plus the huge array of bullet types available in that caliber.

These wolves are not like our family dogs. Although the size may be the same, These animals are very heavy boned and hard muscled. They also have a "will to live" that is stronger then I've ever seen. I do use a 243 with Barnes solids to dispatch them in traps. I don't like sewing either. But I've seen them run off after being shot with a 270. One was tracked for two miles before it was shot again. The first shot had deflected off the shoulder blade. Now if I could shot a perfect heart shot every time, sometimes off hand, I would only use the 243. The Lapua stops them fast, no matter where they are hit. the shock takes the "will to live" out of them.
As for the trapping. Bait holes are hard to do, as we can only trap in the winter. Pee post and scent stacks is what I use. I use some snares, but have to be very careful on where and how to set. The white tail deer will get hung up.

The 22/250 works on wolf. I think the 70 gr TSX or 75 gr Sirocco ll would be great bullets for them from a quick twist 22/250 .
But, having seen a wolf run close to 400 yards after being double lunged from an 06 , I can say they are good at running.
If u have the rifle and its a good one, use it.. if you bust their shoulders they don't run off.

:)

Hey, r u da guy I red about in what was it? Zane Grey, North of some thin'??

Ubetcha!!! The 250 is plenty for wolf. Especially with the fast twist and heavy for cal bullets. The only real benefit of the heavy projectiles is longer range and improved wind handling.

Any bullet the 250 will shoot well will do the job.

Shot placement, as always, is king. But, keep in mind that their heart is just behind the last rib. If you want to take one home move the shot a bit more forward. Think bait about that one. :rolleyes:

A local just received his Montana Rifle in 220 Swift as his wolf rig.

Good luck on your Woofin'.

+1 on what Roy said.

I happen to use a bolt action 223 with hot handloads on yotes and wolves.

I have only been witness to five wolves being killed. 2 with a 22-250, one with a creedmoore, and I killed one with a 115 berger from my 25-06 @ 420 yards and one I killed with a 95 SMK from my 243 at 200 yards. I have a pile of friends who have killed wolves and they just flop on the ground dead. All the wolves that i have seen shot just flopped on the ground and never wiggled... If they were hit which is a whole other topic for discussion since they are mostly hair!! All were shoulder shots! I have been very impressed by how easy they die! I plan on head shooting with a 22 any wolves that I hold in place with iron!

Never shot a wolf, never even seen a woof...I want to go to Alberta next year and hunt. Will a 105 A Max from a 240 Wby do the trick?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.