.270 loads for Wolves?

Was the pelt prime on the one you shot? I figured it would be a bit early to get started if I want good fur.
I would assume that either the Lapua blew a good hole in the wolf but that's ok with you or that the big bullet didnt expand and left only a small hole.
I'm looking to save the pelt. My guess is that either of my choices will expand and possibly ruin it, so am I better off with the .243 which may grenade inside and not make it out the other side?
Maybe I need to invest in something bigger?

I'd just use a 'big game' bullet in your 270. A little hole in, just slightly larger one out. You can use the same loads you have for deer hunting.

Really comes down to bullet choice. Mine was caliber in nickel size out. Destroyed the heart and lungs.

The fur was pretty good, though probably not as good as Jan. It ill make a nice rug someday.

Steve

My compliments on getting involved in the control of these beasts.

1) Its never to early to start, late might be better fur, but if your opportunity comes early take it.

2) Terminal velocity will have a lot to do with bullet performance. So, how far to wish to still be in the game?

3) Wolf size.

4) Shot placement.

To me, the variables in wolf hunting/shooting are too hard to control, either of your choices can be made to work, but if fur is your goal, trapping will give better results.

I've seen them but never pulled it off myself.

I very well may try trapping them, but I really want to experiment with calling them. I realize it may be a pipe dream, but I think it'd be quite a rush.

I have been using a 150 gr Sierra boat tail for elk, but I've never stretched the range beyond maybe 300.
I'm thinking it'll drop off too quickly before getting out there to wolf territory.

I'm wondering about the 135 gr HPBT Sierra Matchking? Anybody have any experience on game at longer ranges with it?

What about some of the Barnes bullets?

I don't see a need to break away from what you've been using, but need rarely enters into it. If trying something new is what you want the long range Accubond is out there, and nothing wrong with the Barnes either. I would keep the weight up for "long range", but there may be an advantage to the lighter weights, at short and medium yardage.

Just pick an accurate big game bullet & you will be fine. One of my best friends is a government hunter in Montana & he kills wolves with a 25-06 & 115 Partitions.
Thanks, Kirk

As has been said. A normal deer bullet works great.
The single biggest thing is you need to be able to hit the wolf in the chest. Or at least put the bullet thru the chest or head. .
What ever you are going to shoot with. You need to be able to hit with!!
If you can run 2" or smaller groups from sitting with shooting sticks you stand a good chance of killing your wolf out to 400 yards. Over 95% of all game is taken within that range. . And if they are coming to your call just keep them coming. But understand, they will be moving. IMO, zero your rifle for 200 y/m and practice on 6" balloons blowing around out to 400 yards.
Sight picture/trigger control in a hurry is what you need.
Much more than just the right bullet.
I would go for 130s in the 270 and 90 - 105 in the 243.

I picked up some 140 Hornady BTSP Interlocks and some 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips, now just gotta figure out a sweet load or two.

The coyotes were howling out back tonight. Might hafta take a practice shot in their direction.

Gettin itchy!!!

I picked up some 140 Hornady BTSP Interlocks and some 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips, now just gotta figure out a sweet load or two.

The coyotes were howling out back tonight. Might hafta take a practice shot in their direction.

Gettin itchy!!!

The 140 Hor BTSP is a super great bullet for controlled expansion at least in my experience of using up a ton of them. Totes and deer mostly.

Depending on you chamber and barrel length and the choice of powder they are good for deer to beyond 600 yards (personal experience)

RL-22, 7828ssc and PP 4000 MR my beta chrony says 3200 fps w/no problems.

At good starting seating depth has been the base of the knurled ring at the case mouth then go deeper to tweak group size.

This process has proven itself over a very long period of time.

Oh, on notes pencil hole in and quarter size exit when hit in ribs. Never hit one on the shoulder or hip so no info on that

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.