2010 Elk

Shooter264

Here is a picture of my dad's 2010 elk. He hasn't hunted for the last 5 years and put in for a premium area this this and drew!! Lucky SOB!! He killed it at 809 yards with a 6.5-06 Ackley Built by Trevor at Cloud Peak Gunworks. He used a 140 grain Berger VLD and was one and done. The bull green scored 380 6/8th with close to 10 1/2" bases. What a HOG

IMG_0577COPY.jpg

That is a beautiful Bull! Job well done!!!

Any chance of getting the load specs on what killed that Beautiful bull.

Wyoming guys have it toooooo good!

It's amazing how Wyoming continues to consistently produce bulls of this quality for it's resident hunters (non-residents have to hire outfitters to hunt in most of the quality elk country so the good stuff is for residents and non-resident rich guys) while Idaho is able to keep all quality shot out of their elk herds.

Idaho F&G needs kicked in the marbles.

We were not able to recover the bullet, the way we quarter animals is done with out ever opening them up (yes we even recover the tenderloins too). The load for the gun was Lapua Brass, 59 grains Retumbo, 140 Berger VLD, and a Fed 215 Primer. Bullet seated .025" off lands. Out of a 25" Pacnor 3 Groove velocity was right at 3090.

I was able to recover the bullet out of a bull I shot 3 years ago at 902 yards with a 6-284 and all that was left of it was the boat tail from a 105 JLK. Here is a pic of that bull, scored around 356 with 60" mainbeams. Has really weak thirds but I was not able to tell that as I had to shoot fast and just knew he had an awesome top end.

122resize.jpg

You can't be killing bulls that big that far w/o SUPER 338 MAGNUM'S!!!!:D Just kidding and great job! Love to see the little calibers score big long range!

Tank

Retumbo in that 58-60gr range with the 140VLD-140Amax and 215's seems to be the "go to" load for more and more 6.5-06AI shooters and your success, obviously, speaks for itself.

CPGfan,
Awesome bulls, congratulations to you and your dad!
You might want to email Swampy at JLK bullets, I know he is looking for feedback on the performance of his bullets on game at long range. 6mm 105 gr bullet at 900 yards, dang!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.