20” barrel for 7PRC

I just built an 18".

Will all powders get 100% burn? No.

Will the powder producing highest velocity get 100% burn? Probably not, though RL26 seems to be a possible anomaly.

Question... why do you care about 100% burn? Depending on your purpose, it may or may not matter.

BTW: a 7prc, even with the fastest burning powder realistic for the cartridge, say H4831(SC), under a 180ELD-M, will burn 100% per QL and will produce plenty of velocity from an 18" barrel for effective 600yd hunting.

I just built an 18".

Will all powders get 100% burn? No.

Will the powder producing highest velocity get 100% burn? Probably not, though RL26 seems to be a possible anomaly.

Question... why do you care about 100% burn? Depending on your purpose, it may or may not matter.

BTW: a 7prc, even with the fastest burning powder realistic for the cartridge, say H4831(SC), under a 180ELD-M, will burn 100% per QL and will produce plenty of velocity from an 18" barrel for effective 600yd hunting.
Thanks for the info.

Want to use a 20" barrel for a 7PRC mtn rifle. 600 yard max. Is that too short for complete powder burn? Bartlein said it is.
You get near full burn in the first couple inches of your barrel, everyone talks about powder burn when really they're describing gas expansion.
20" is plenty, I have a 16" 6.5 saum, 18" 7-300 wsm, and a 19" 300 Norma Mag AI.
I shoot 100% suppressed though otherwise they'd all have 26" barrels with brakes

Recent Posts